Board logo

Racetech wheel and boss woes
Avoneer - 14/4/05 at 08:26 PM

Hi,
Anyone any ideas how best to solve the following problem:
The holes already drilled in my wheel are not in line with the holes pre-drilled on the Racetech removeable boss.
What's the best way to mount the two?
Elongate the holes on the boss - might weaken it.
Fill the holes on the front with weld and re-drill - might look ugly?
Any suggestions?
Cheers,
Pat... Rescued attachment Wheel1.JPG
Rescued attachment Wheel1.JPG

Avoneer - 14/4/05 at 08:29 PM

Pic of wheel and boss: Rescued attachment Wheel2.JPG
Rescued attachment Wheel2.JPG

flak monkey - 14/4/05 at 08:36 PM

Elongate the holes in the boss will be the easiest solution (and would be what i would do). Since you are elongating them toward the centre of the boss you wont weaken it very much. The bolt the wheel on with some washers behind the nuts and it will be ok.

A lot easier than redrilling the wheel...

David

Avoneer - 14/4/05 at 08:54 PM

Yeah, that's a point - they will be elongated towards the centre and be firmly sandwiched when the bolts are in place.
Pat...

chriscook - 14/4/05 at 09:59 PM

redrill the wheel 60degrees out and use a circular plate in the centre of the wheel to cover over the old holes? (so the wheel is sandwiched between the boss and circular plate)

Avoneer - 14/4/05 at 10:26 PM

Yeah, though of this as well - but it wouldn't look as neat.
Could always bolt a circular ali plate, perhaps 5mm thick, to the hub and then bolt it to the wheel 60 degrees out????
No altering of holes at alll then!
Pat...

Lightning - 14/4/05 at 10:39 PM

If the boss is ali, why not fill the hole with weld and redrill?. Surely thats the proper way.

Avoneer - 14/4/05 at 11:05 PM

Yep, could do that as well - then no one would see the "botch".
Good idea lightning.
Probably the best solution yet and I have a friend who can TIG.
Pat...

andkilde - 14/4/05 at 11:41 PM

Redrill the holes to match the boss, slightly oversized -- turn up some nice Ali tophat bushes to take up the slack.

Cheers, Ted

Sort of like this?

[Edited on 15/4/05 by andkilde]

JAG - 15/4/05 at 07:50 AM

I'd file the holes in the steering wheel until they were oval and you could get a bolt through. Then I'd fit some large headed, dome type stainless bolts.

Filing the wheel will be the strongest as there is far more material in the wheel than in the quick-release coupling.

scotty g - 16/4/05 at 12:22 PM

Did you buy the wheel and boss new, if so surely the best thing to do is take it back and get another one that fits properly! The customer is always right, right?

Avoneer - 17/4/05 at 07:11 AM

No, bought them both separately on ebay (bargains) from different people.
Still prefer filling the holes on the boss with weld and re-drilling them - would look neatest.
Pat...

NS Dev - 19/4/05 at 11:09 AM

I would agree with JAG, having done the same a few times now.

Leave the boss well alone, welding will weaken it more than slotting the holes out in the wheel ever would!

Either just slot the holes in the wheel and use washers or use the idea mentioned of drilling the holes oversize on the right centres and using top hats.