Board logo

4 point mounts on roll bar?
Northy - 24/4/05 at 04:40 PM

Hi guys,

I'm about to weld a bar across my roll bar to mount my 4 point belts to tomorrow, but am unsure on how far apart the two top mountings should be?

Does it depend on the seats, or is there a better way?

Picture might show what I mean better

Distance: D Rescued attachment 4 point mounting distance.jpg
Rescued attachment 4 point mounting distance.jpg

rusty nuts - 24/4/05 at 04:59 PM

Not sure how far apart they should be , sorry to hijack thread but do the Sabelt top and lower fittings conform to S.V.A. regs without any covers? If not anyone have any suggestions as to what to use as covers?

907 - 24/4/05 at 05:28 PM

Hi

I'v made my centres 120mm.

They fit nicely through the holes in my Cobra seats.

Hope this helps

Paul G

DarrenW - 25/4/05 at 08:49 AM

Just a point for those who havent passed SVA yet. If you mount seatbelt anchors off the rear roll bar be very carefull how you mount the roll bar to the chassis. Rivnuts are definitely not OK. If you drill through chassis and bolt it on you need the right strength bolts and a means for preventing any square tubing on the chassis from scrushing. Im not sure about welding - i guess this is good but dont know if the welds have to be checked.

My mounts are welded directly to the chassis at correct height etc, Roll bar is therefore independant (read - decorative).

Cheers,
Darren.

Northy - 25/4/05 at 08:51 AM

Any more input onthe distance between fixings? I'll be doing it later today.

DarrenW - 25/4/05 at 08:58 AM

Iam almost sure the distance will depend on the seats used. If seats have slots the belts need to go throu and over shoulders without touching the seat (that is the rule for my grp seats anyway). If belts touch seats then in crash the seats will take some load and you need to ensure they are strong enough.

Will you be able to work out the best spacing? Sorry i cant help more than this.

Northy - 25/4/05 at 09:10 AM

Hi have Intertrim seats without harnes holes and was told by them that people usually route the belts round them.

SVA is not a problem, passed that last year, but safety still is.

Here's some pics of the car last year. Rescued attachment 5Rear.jpg
Rescued attachment 5Rear.jpg

Northy - 25/4/05 at 09:11 AM

Another Rescued attachment 2Interior.jpg
Rescued attachment 2Interior.jpg

Northy - 25/4/05 at 09:11 AM

AnotherImage deleted by owner

Ben_Copeland - 1/5/05 at 09:00 PM

bit late, but....

quote:

The upper mounting point of a lap/diagonal belt must be at least 450mm above the seat reference point, and at least 140mm outboard from the centre line of the seat

So in theory a 4 point should be 140mm either sie of centre. 280mm apart.

Rorty - 2/5/05 at 03:32 AM

If using bolt-on ends on a 4 or 5 point harness, then I too place them 120mm apart for any seat with twin webbing slots.
Ben, I think you're mixing up normal lap/diagonal belts with 4 point harnesses. They'll be totally diferent to mount, as the top of the diagonal will be well off to the side (usually attached to the B post of a saloon).