Board logo

Where to mount fire extinguisher?
Northy - 2/5/05 at 01:54 PM

I've got one of those little Flamebeater fire extinguishers (in bling fake carbon fibre) but am not sure where to fit it. I don't want it flying around if I have a crash!

Where have others fitted them?

Cheers

andylancaster3000 - 2/5/05 at 02:04 PM

I think most either mount in the area above the tank somewhere or if your seats are high enough, underneath the knees of you passenger right in front of the seat.

Andy

[Edited on 2/5/05 by andylancaster3000]

Staple balls - 2/5/05 at 02:30 PM

either close to the front of the passenger seat (so it's under thier knees)

or pointing longways down the passenger side in the middle, between thier legs.

that way, it shouldn't be a problem in a crash, and reasonably accessible in most cases.

paulf - 2/5/05 at 03:58 PM

I bought an extinguisher yesterday and have just fitted it.
I also had the same problem deciding where to fit it and eventually mounted it on the scuttle firewall above the passengers legs.I decided that it couldnt go far if under the dash and is still easilyaccessible .I was concerned that if i mounted it on the floor sooner or later it would get stood on and damaged .
Paul

Humbug - 2/5/05 at 08:55 PM

I used to have a Westie and it had a fire extinguisher mounted between the seats on the rear bulkhead

tri - 2/5/05 at 09:37 PM

i would say the rear panel between 2 seats is best place or even better is never have the need for 1

madman280 - 6/7/05 at 10:18 PM

I mounted mine in the cupboard in the kitchen. Fake bling carbon fiber or not if it don't make it fast it makes it heavier. I leave that stuff at home. Next thing we'll be answering how to fit amps and sub boxes ....Na.. seriously, I'd mount it in the rear so it can't rattle around or hit anyone if it came loose.....worked at a roundy round toilet bowl race track and saw a few rattlin round after a good knock.

NS Dev - 12/7/05 at 01:34 PM

just to confirm Madman's point, I'd put a secondary fixing in if you are fitting the extinguisher into a spring-clamp type bracket (the ones that usually come with car extinguishers)

The one in my grasser is mounted under my knees in a very tight springy clamp but when I had a light altercation with the barrier (not bad, carried on racing) the extinguisher left it's bracket and ended up amongst the pedals.............I was very glad there was only a lap or so left!

RazMan - 12/7/05 at 10:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by madman280
Next thing we'll be answering how to fit amps and sub boxes ....Na.. seriously,

Bless me father for I have sinned ..... but it only an ickle amp