Board logo

"Not very" adhesive
Humbug - 12/7/05 at 03:40 PM

A couple of weeks ago I stuck foam and then vinyl on a number of panel pieces for the tunnel top and boot space cover. They are not yet fitted, but looked fine so I put them aside. I was just looking at them and the folded over bits of vinyl seems to be coming unstuck in various places.

I used Loctite spray adhesive, and the panels are aluminium. Any suggestions for fixing it back that don't involve pulling all the vinyl off and redoing it? I though perhaps using gaffer tape???

Mix - 12/7/05 at 03:53 PM

Use contact adhesive, Evo stick, Copydex etc.

Mick

Hellfire - 12/7/05 at 04:50 PM

We had the same problem - on the material and the foam - the first and second layers are to be considered as sealing layers. The next layers should stick! It's quite xpensive stuff so I'd recommend going the other way - alternatively on this build we used the tried and trusted PU adhesive and spread it full on the vinyl... it's not coming off now!!!

HTH

RoadkillUK - 12/7/05 at 06:11 PM

Contact adhesive does a good job, took mine off the other day and it was a bit a bugger

Also the 'carpet' on the tunnel was soaked in gear oil (the reason it came out), I have to get a new seal.

I've also just recently made some panel fillers and covered the 'boot' using spray carpet glue from 'Wickes'. I'll let you know how it holds

wilkingj - 12/7/05 at 10:14 PM

Also worth giving the ally a quick wipe over with a rag soaked in panel wipe to degrease the ally first. I use brake clean, but is simmilar, ie a quick evaporating degreaser. Dont forget the protective gloves and glasses etc..

DarrenW - 13/7/05 at 08:09 AM

Would hot melt adhesive work? Im thinking of covering my Triton style seat bases and gluing the vinyl to fibreglass with hot melt - anybody any experiences of this??

Syd Bridge - 13/7/05 at 08:36 AM

Try double sided carpet tape. Then set it with a hot air blower.

britishtrident - 14/7/05 at 08:29 PM

Evo-stick contact adhesive --- or you could try the contact adhesive Poundland sell -- I haven't tried the contact type but the 2 part Epoxy they sell is great stuff.