Board logo

The wonders of acetone
DarrenW - 31/8/05 at 02:24 PM

Just thought id share this with you.

If you use bond and seal and find some of its gets onto aesthetic areas i have found that acetone cleans it off. Take care to test the acetone on a hidden area in case it will affect the gel coat etc. (I bought acetone in small bottles for a few penniew from my local chemists).

Did you know that acetone can also be used to bond ABS plastic. Either use neat and apply with small brush to both sides - wait till tacky and push together. Shaving some abs and mixing with acetone in the bottle can also make abs filler / glue (takes a couple of days to disolve fully) - handy to know if you want to join to bits at right angles (ie transmission tunnel or boot area).

Hellfire - 31/8/05 at 03:42 PM

Please read the following Data Sheet too...

ACETONE DATASHEET

chrisg - 31/8/05 at 03:52 PM

Nice drink - bit of a tangy after taste.

Cheers

Chris

Disclaimer: the previous statement provides what we like to call a"joke" please do not drink acetone because I told you to. If you are tempted to drink acetone, please ask the nurse to bring you your blue tablets

[Edited on 31/8/05 by chrisg]

Triton - 31/8/05 at 03:59 PM

groovy on cuts.....but will attack gel coat if you pour the stuff on so be careful

DarrenW - 31/8/05 at 04:00 PM

Acetone also give a lovely colour when used to try and start your engine when pissed!!!! I cant recommend this tho as it could do alsorts of damage!!!!!

The exhausts gasses also smelled very strange!

Triton - 31/8/05 at 04:02 PM

Started an X7 Suzuki years ago using a good squirt of wd40 into each carbie.....wow did it scream and never touched the throttle either........engine went pop a few days later tho

splitrivet - 31/8/05 at 04:28 PM

You were a bit late with that disclaimer Chris drank a pint of the stuff and now find my arse welded to a pvc typists chair, please send me your address so that my solicitor can send the court papers.
Cheers,
Bob
PS.
Did find it had a tangy taste but thought that was the cheap tonic water.

[Edited on 31/8/05 by splitrivet]

Fred W B - 31/8/05 at 06:27 PM

I use acetone a lot to clean things. It comes in a handy spray can labelled "Carb Cleaner"

Cheers

Fred WB

chrisg - 31/8/05 at 06:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
You were a bit late with that disclaimer Chris drank a pint of the stuff and now find my arse welded to a pvc typists chair, please send me your address so that my solicitor can send the court papers.
Cheers,
Bob
PS.
Did find it had a tangy taste but thought that was the cheap tonic water.

[Edited on 31/8/05 by splitrivet]

you should find that handy for scooting round the Garage Bob!

You could sue me but I'm skint, I could do the elephant impression these days, it's all gone on petrol!!

Cheers

Chris

Ps say hello to mrs Bob for me.