Board logo

Carbon Sierra Column Cover?
Howlor - 7/9/05 at 12:40 PM

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has seen any suitable steering column shrouds instead of using the somewhat dated Sierra one. Ideally I am looking for a carbon fibre one.

Thanks,
Steve

DarrenW - 7/9/05 at 01:17 PM

a different solution is to remove all of the stalks / column switch gear. Fit full set of savages and replace the ali upper bearing carrier (the one that houses the ign key barrel) with one of Mac#1's round polished versions. They look very clean and smart. Ive done this but cant post a pic yet as i havent finished the dash.

jos - 7/9/05 at 01:32 PM

I'm working on a gaiter similar to gear stick or handbrake that covers up the steering column.

All it is is a piece of matching fabric with enough slack so that it ruffles to match the gearbox gaiter, with cord sewn into the front and rear ends and a hole for the ignition barrel. I’m alos trying to get the ignition barrel wires covered in a tube of the same fabric.

Will keep you posted.

ayoungman - 12/9/05 at 11:05 AM

thats a good idea. I was thinking of making a fake cf ABS shroud in two halves. A simple vacuum forming jobby !
I like the fabric idea though

Jasper - 15/9/05 at 12:50 PM

Think twice b4 not using column switches. I didn't on my first build, then had the hassle of dash mounted indicators, lights etc. Looked good, but was a bit of a pain.

This build I'm using all the sierra switch gear - makes the driving easier for the sake of a little aesthetics. Also saves £££ on switches.....

Ian Pearson - 15/9/05 at 04:23 PM

Sorry Jasper, but I couldn't resist this!

quote:

Been considering indicators myself. Have already ground off all the crap on the column as I can't bear to have anything looking like it was once on a sierra on my car.

However, I watched somebody use a dash mounted switch and its a bit of a pain, especially as I'm gonna be driving it to work in the summer so regularly using them in town.

Vehicle Wiring Products do a very simple long arm indicator switch that mounts onto the column which I'm probably gonna get - no Sierra bollocks, but column indicators - NOT self centering tho'.

Jasper - 15/9/05 at 06:47 PM

Ian - your absolutely right mate.

First car I built I wanted it to LOOK good and be a 'cool' car. This time I'm building a car that will work in the best way possible and be as reliable and user friendly a possible.

And, the benefits of hindsight ..........

Ian Pearson - 15/9/05 at 10:58 PM

At least you're on your 2nd build. Still not finished my first!