Board logo

Q for Triton - seat padding
DarrenW - 26/9/05 at 11:39 AM

Hello Mr Triton,

Quick question for a man of your calibre (are you sufficiently buttered up yet????),

What i sthe best foam / vinyl to use when trimming the seat base inserts? Best method to stick the foam? Best method to fix trimmed bases in the seats?
Im looking for a pro finish, almost wondering about asking grandmother to get sewing machine out and make some nice vinyls with beading etc.

Do you have any pics of any you have done (ideally step by step if available).

Many Thanks,
Darren.

Triton - 26/9/05 at 12:01 PM

Howdy,
Cut vinyl to size....glue foamy stuff to that then when stuck....stick that to the grp bits....The base i wouldn't bother fixing down but the back one can either be velcro or better still bolted.....to bolt them on: hold the inserts in the back of the seat(lines itself up) then wazz thru with a small drill 5milly or so, this makes sure your holes line up
Glue/bond the button headed bolt to the grp insert .......before you stick your cover on....believe me easy to get carried away and forget

Get your granny to sew you a nice beaded doodah with stictched pattern maybe.
There is also vinyl available that has a foam backing.....think from Woolies but can't remember.

If that makes sense you are more alert than me for a Monday

Cheers
Mark

DarrenW - 26/9/05 at 01:24 PM

Thats sounds jolly easy. I can understand it as well which is good for me on a Monday! many thanks. What have you found to be the best glue to use? I understand there are different types of faom as well - is there an optimum grade / thickness to use?

Ive seen that foam backed vinyl, very nice. I like the look of the 'ribbed' one. I wonder of this gives a heightened sensation????

Thanks again.

Triton - 26/9/05 at 05:03 PM

Ribbed everytime.......carefull how you apply the glue though

Spray contact glue....squirt on each bit and bingo.