Board logo

Aluminium Honeycomb
jambojeef - 17/10/05 at 09:29 PM

Hi all,

Where can I get some aluminium honeycomb from? I want enough to do a dashboard and cant find a supplier who will sell me thats small a quantity...which is fair enough really - any ideas?

Sadly everyones favourite internet auction site has yet to yield anything even after a few weeks!

Geoff

donut - 17/10/05 at 09:37 PM

We recently took my eldest to a private school where they build and compete in electric single seaters. They construct their cars using floors from helecopters!! Ally honeycomb sandwhiched between 2 sheets of ally.

Not very helpful but may point you in the right direction????

flak monkey - 17/10/05 at 09:37 PM

Why not just make it out of thin ali sheet suitably reinforced with a couple or ribs across the back?

David

jambojeef - 17/10/05 at 09:41 PM

Woah!

Me and me jigsaw are off to the airport!

Cool!

Erm I was going to go down the ally sheet road but Ive kinda done my scuttle a slightly strange way and need the depth and rigidity I think - might get away with it - depends how easy it is to get at the helipad at Newcastle Airport.....now wheres my 500m 13A extension lead...

Triton - 17/10/05 at 09:46 PM

this might sound totally daft.....but two thin sheets of ali with foam sarnie will do the same trick especially for a dashboard......cheap as chips then......

Mark

jambojeef - 17/10/05 at 09:51 PM

DIY aluminium honeycomb!! WOW!

Like you mean the expanding foam stuff from B&Q?

this could be fun!

What could you use to like keep an even separation between the sheets as the foam expands?

For thick sections you could totally use that expanding green paper stuff they use to separate apples at the supermarket!

WOW!

Just gotta think of something to separate a thin dashboard type of thing...

Triton - 17/10/05 at 09:53 PM

See told you it was daft....thin insulation foam glued in between two sheets of ali.......but don't tell anyone or they will all want to do it

jambojeef - 17/10/05 at 09:55 PM

Im totally thikning this is the greatest invention ever - im thinking like thin strips of balsa wood criss crossed over a little sheet of ally and then foamed and stick the other sheet over the top and weigh it down with loadsa books or sommat!

OH WOW! The helicopters are safe!

JoelP - 17/10/05 at 09:56 PM

in the local craft shop i saw something called foam board, a wonrefully stiff car about 4mm thick with a sandwich of foam in the middle.

Any regular foam would do, not soap suds obviously, just a nice firm foam.

Triton - 17/10/05 at 09:58 PM

That stuff the flower bods use to plop flowers in would be ideal if you can find/steal/borrow some in thin sheets

jambojeef - 17/10/05 at 10:04 PM

What about this in the middle?

Loads for free at the back of the supermarket chekout! Rescued attachment corrugated-cardboaord-roll.jpg
Rescued attachment corrugated-cardboaord-roll.jpg

viatron - 17/10/05 at 10:06 PM

Wouldnt the flower stuff break and crumble? How about a camping mat? only a couple of quid, the right shape for a complete piece for a dash and about 10mm thick?

Mac

Oh and its closed cell so is waterproof.

paulf - 17/10/05 at 10:07 PM

Try www.hmsales.co.uk, they are an aircraft dismantlers and sell anything from instruments to engines etc.The BBC and film studios buy bits of plane from them for film sets etc.Someone i know bought a complete turboprop engine for about £300.Ive thought of trying them for ally honeycomb but never got around to it yet.
Paul.

Triton - 17/10/05 at 10:08 PM

Just decided.....if you go this route your hair will turn green and hedgehogs aplenty will follow

robinbastd - 17/10/05 at 10:09 PM

Don't use Oasis flower foam as it absorbs water and doesn't want to let it go again. It's also bloody expensive to buy in sheets - I had to make the base for a surf board shaped coffin top arrangement a few years back for the funeral of a local lad,and friend,who was killed in the Bali bombing.
The blue foam from builders merchants would be better.

Ian

jambojeef - 17/10/05 at 10:09 PM

Do you mean I'll turn into grotbags off the pink windmill?

What an unexpected sideeffect of making your own aluminium skinned cardboard honeycomb!

Triton - 17/10/05 at 10:13 PM

You can actually buy slimline honeycomb stuff like that found inside those luvvly B&Q doors....used in carbon fibre work..weighs nowt but stiff as a stiff thing

jambojeef - 17/10/05 at 10:19 PM

Im gonna try this tommorrow!

Might do 2 trials with foam and cardboard!

Should be good...!

Triton - 17/10/05 at 10:24 PM

Make sure you have a shower cap and some serious y-fronts on to catch those hedgehogs

Triton - 17/10/05 at 10:27 PM

Nasty little blighters yer know

robinbastd - 17/10/05 at 10:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Triton
Nasty little blighters yer know

Especially when fed with blue smarties.

Triton - 17/10/05 at 10:44 PM

JonBowden - 18/10/05 at 08:36 AM

Triton,

Thi guy here built a whole monocoque seven out of an aluminium and foam sandwich. He was very proud of the stifness of the result

skodaman - 23/10/05 at 11:46 PM

Colin Chapman was known to use greaseproof paper sprayed silver but then again his F1 cars didn't need to go through SVA.

Triton - 24/10/05 at 06:47 AM

Colin Chapman was a demon he tried things people said won't work....and made them work........"God" thought he was C C but failed big time

Syd Bridge - 24/10/05 at 09:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Triton
You can actually buy slimline honeycomb stuff like that found inside those luvvly B&Q doors....used in carbon fibre work..weighs nowt but stiff as a stiff thing

The stuff in doors is mostly cardboard treated to be fire resistant. Not for weight bearing structural applications.

The honeycomb in pucka cfrp composite work is resin impregnated nomex, a type of kevlar. I get ali honeycomb from Hexcel, and occasionally small quantities from SP Systems, as they're local.

For foam, you need rigid pvc, as used widely in boat building. Try Scott Bader.
Balsa core is also common, but I haven't used it for years.