Board logo

Carpets
DavidM - 27/10/05 at 12:03 PM

Should I cut my carpet around my seat runners or would it be ok to bolt the seat runners through the carpet to the floor?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

David

[Edited on 27/10/05 by DavidM]

wicket - 27/10/05 at 12:05 PM

Definitely cut round the seat runners, bolt metal to metal to get proper secure fixing.

romer - 27/10/05 at 02:25 PM

I would bolt through the carpet and leave for a week or so if you have the time. then remove the runners and it will be easier to see crushed carpet to cut around and make a neat job. Then rebolt direct mounting points for strength.

IMHO for what it's worth.

Romer

Hellfire - 27/10/05 at 05:41 PM

We bolted ours down through the carpet. No problems to report so far

Peteff - 27/10/05 at 07:01 PM

Why do you want carpet ? Especially under the seats where you won't see it and it will get wet eventually and go mouldy.

DavidM - 28/10/05 at 12:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Why do you want carpet ? Especially under the seats where you won't see it and it will get wet eventually and go mouldy.

So it's nice and soft and fluffy.

Looks like I'll be bolting through the carpet, then If I have any problems using the marks to cut around the runners, bolting directly to the floor and then when the carpet gets damp and curls up at the edges taking it out.
Still it'll give me something to do after the car's finished.

Thanks for the thoughts fellas.

Hellfire, did you have any problems with bolting through at SVA?

David

Hornet - 28/10/05 at 07:08 AM

My penniesworth.....

I bolted straight through carpets.. no problems at all.
However, you WILL definately get caught in the rain and this area WILL retain a lot of water.
Wish I could remove carpet easily as its a pain to dry out.
Cheers

zetec - 28/10/05 at 06:11 PM

I cut around runners and fit down with velcro, then if (when!) it gets wet take it out and dry. Also if it gets tatty saves taking the seats out to change it.

Kitlooney1000 - 5/11/05 at 11:58 AM

I'm glad i didnt put carpet in mine, especially when the rear seal on the gear box went and oil leaked through from the transmission tunnel into the foot wells.

DarrenW - 6/11/05 at 10:39 PM

My twopenneth - defo no carpets. Ive got 5 bar ali chequerplate floor whickh looks great and wont go smelly and mouldy.

wilkingj - 6/11/05 at 10:56 PM

Use Kitchen carpet aka Flotex or simmilar Bathroom carpet.. Fluffy and WATERPROOF.

Or none... ie Chequerplate.. only get electrolytic white rust from the electolytic action of dissimmilar metals.