Board logo

Seatbelts
David Jenkins - 9/12/05 at 12:22 PM

OK - currently I've got the Sabelt 4-way harness as used by just about everyone who's ever been to a kit car show. It's a good harness, but it has one major problem for me - the lap belt adjusters have to be pulled outwards, away from the buckle, and there just isn't enough room to get the belt properly tight. Not because of my wide arse - it's because of the nice snug Triton seat that wraps around me. Not fully tightening the lap belt means that the lap belt rides up when I tighten the shoulder straps - not good to have it sitting on my stomach.

So I'm looking for an alternative belt that adjusts by pulling towards the buckle. Most of the expensive single-seater belts adjust this way, but I haven't managed to identify a 'clubman' belt that does.

I could fit a 5-way belt, but I'm nervous about what the extra strap would do to my groin in an impact! I'm only joking, but I'm not sure where I could fasten the extra strap on my car, as the eye would have to be a fair way in front of the lap belt, just in front of the seat (I don't want to make any holes in the seat itself).

And purely out of curiosity, how do 6-way belts fit? Do they both fasten between the legs, or off to the side?

TIA for any answers,
David

Viper - 9/12/05 at 01:01 PM

Most of the belt maunfacturers do 4 points for the Caterham and most of those have reverse lap strap adjusters.

My Willans do, that was one of the reasons for buying them..

David Jenkins - 9/12/05 at 03:09 PM

Maybe I'll have a look at them (westfield size is best for my car tho).

Still fancy the racing type buckle - getting into my harness is like putting on a bra backwards... so I'm told...

David

Mix - 9/12/05 at 03:31 PM

Is putting a bra on backwards the same as taking a bra off ????

Mick