Board logo

Harness (again)
David Jenkins - 16/12/05 at 07:24 PM

I've been looking around for some replacement 4-point harnesses for my car, and it's raised a question - most 'clubman' belts are marked as Westfield or Caterham. What's the difference?

I believed that I would need the Westie-sized ones, but now I'm unsure... anyone know? (my belts fasten to the roll-bar, BTW).

cheers,
David

rusty nuts - 16/12/05 at 07:32 PM

David , have you looked at the Sabelt range ? around £45 per set and in different colours. They fit my car OK but could do with some means of stowing the slack on the shoulder straps

907 - 16/12/05 at 07:53 PM

Surly the odd mil or two doesn't flap around does it?

Paul G

David Jenkins - 16/12/05 at 10:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
David , have you looked at the Sabelt range ?

I've got Sabelt at the moment - as I said in the other post a while ago, they have one problem as far as I'm concerned. The lap belt is tensioned by pulling the strap outwards, but there's no room to pull them properly. I want to change to a harness which you tighten by pulling inwards towards the buckle.

I also fancy having a turnbuckle release, if I can find one at a sensible price (I'm fed up of strangling myself when putting on the Sabelt harness, especially when I'm wearing a heavy jacket).

cheers,
David

paulf - 16/12/05 at 10:45 PM

I think the difference between Westfield and Caterham belts is the fixing method.Caterham bolt in and the Westfield ones use the untidy looking spring catches.
I have Luke 4 point caterham type belts and they have the reverse type adjusters but push latches, I also fancy changing to 5 point harnesses with the aircraft type buckle due to the difficulty getting into them without releasing the adjusters.
Paul.

rusty nuts - 16/12/05 at 10:53 PM

Paul (G) , some of us are not as big as others, so we have a little slack to tuck away. end of strap hit me in the eye once, not funny at legel limit.

kev R1 - 17/12/05 at 10:42 AM

i've just bought these securon harnesses, they retail for 170 each i can get them for 220 a pair posted if you're interested. 3" shoulder straps, just cut the excess off and take them to a sewing shop to get them edged!! Rescued attachment 4 point harnesses web 2.JPG
Rescued attachment 4 point harnesses web 2.JPG

Marcus - 17/12/05 at 11:46 AM

Both Westfield and Caterham Harnesses have bolt fixing for the side straps, Westfield uses eye bolts for the rears, Caterham use bolts.
Hope that helps

Marcus

Forgot to add, both have reverse acting side straps.

[Edited on 17/12/05 by Marcus]

dhollin3 - 17/12/05 at 01:40 PM

marcus is correct

jack trolley - 17/12/05 at 03:41 PM

Someone on the Se7ens list (forget who ) is organising a Willans harness bulk-buy.

James - 17/12/05 at 09:06 PM

5 points might be beneficial as they stop you 'submarining' in a front-ender!

I'd have bought them if I'd realised how much the 4 point's lap straps rise up as you sit there. Going from safely across the hips to a nice eviscerating position under the rib cage!

Mark Allanson would be good to talk to on this as he has seen a lot of car accidents*!

Cheers,
James

*I believe that's seen not caused!

David Jenkins - 18/12/05 at 11:10 AM

It looks like I'm going for a set of Luke 'Pro' belts, once the bloke in Ipswich tells me the price! (roughly £70 - £80 each). I'll be starting with 4-point, as I reckon being able to tighten the lap strap properly should stop it riding up - all the fixing angles on my car are correct, but a loose lap belt will ALWAYS ride up when you tighten the shoulder straps. These belts have the option for adding the 5th belt if I still feel the need.

I'm still worried about the family jewels if I crash while wearing a 5-point harness, though...

cheers,
David

rusty nuts - 18/12/05 at 11:38 AM

Sorry David , didn't see previous post . I know what you mean about adjusting lap belts , A real pain . Not sure about legality about turnbuckle release though?

Mark Allanson - 18/12/05 at 11:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by James
5 points might be beneficial as they stop you 'submarining' in a front-ender!

I'd have bought them if I'd realised how much the 4 point's lap straps rise up as you sit there. Going from safely across the hips to a nice eviscerating position under the rib cage!

Mark Allanson would be good to talk to on this as he has seen a lot of car accidents*!

Cheers,
James

*I believe that's seen not caused!

Hope it is just seen! I believe that 4 or 3 points are the way to go, I we never keen on using my testicles to prevent me submarining! Careful positioning of the mounts is the secret

Mix - 18/12/05 at 01:35 PM

If the buckle has the option to accept five harness clips then you can convert it to a six point harness by using two attachment points for the crotch strap terminating at the same point at the buckle. Much more user friendly

Mick

David Jenkins - 18/12/05 at 02:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Not sure about legality about turnbuckle release though?

Legality varies according to which SVA test station you go to - some say that it must be an 'E'-marked push-button job, others will say that they don't really care as long as it's marked with some standard or other, and can be undone with one hand. But as I'm post-SVA...

Anyway, I reckon I could get out of a turnbuckle harness quicker than out of my current 'reversed bra-strap' harness!

rgds,
David