Board logo

mounting seats - threaded rod strength
Jumpy Guy - 23/12/05 at 04:42 PM

Mounting my new seats looked easy enough, but is turning into a bit of a saga...

the seats need to be raised, but not equally at each corner
basically, my floor is not flat, and as a result i have different "leg" length as a seat support at each corner of the seat
my seats have 8mm inserts built into them

trying to line this all up, and bolt through blind from the underside is a nightmare; i have to line up the supports, the seat etc,

so, it would be much simpler if i used 8mm threaded rod, into the bush, then through the supports, down through the floor of the car, then a spreader plate and nut underneath...

my question= is threaded rod strong enough to do this?

Danozeman - 23/12/05 at 05:51 PM

Threaded rod is just a bolt with no head. thread lock it into the inserts if u wont have to remove it again to stop it turning and coming loose.

Should be fine.

Phil. S - 23/12/05 at 09:08 PM

I used threaded rod to mount mine, and it's fine (though it's only been on a day). I've just posted a full account with a few pics at the bottom of the page here which might be of some help.

[Edited on 23/12/05 by Phil. S]

Peteff - 23/12/05 at 11:45 PM

It's not 8.8 unless it's specified, just mild steel bar with a thread.

rusty nuts - 24/12/05 at 09:07 AM

Why can't you initialy fit the seat with threaded rod and then remove each one in turn , measure and replace with a decent bolt?
Surely safer than using poorer quality fittings for such a safety related item.

Phil. S - 24/12/05 at 09:28 AM

Or buy some decent long bolts and grind off the heads, which is what I did when I ran out of threaded bar for the second seat (though I didn't know the threaded bar was weaker. Now I do, I might change the bar on the first seat. It's got to come back out anyway.)

stevec - 24/12/05 at 10:25 AM

I think threaded rod is just a collection of fractures waiting to happen, and as previously stated may not have the tensile strength of other fixings.
Steve.

NS Dev - 4/1/06 at 12:53 PM

what's wrong with just packing it out with a few washers and using normal bolts.

Threaded rod would no doubt be fine but sounds a bit heath robinson to me and yes, it is only usually mild steel.

[Edited on 4/1/06 by NS Dev]