Board logo

Interior trimming tips?
RazMan - 26/1/06 at 11:29 PM

I'm going to be thinking about the interior in the coming weeks and its ocurred to me that I don't know where to start.

Carpets are no problem and RazLady has got good upholstery skills but only with domestic stuff. I want to do something with the dash first - is there such a thing as a 'trimming how to' or similar?

Any useful links will be appreciated

steve_gus - 26/1/06 at 11:52 PM

I didnt have any books - i just made up my own method, which isnt rocket science.

My upholstery panels are 6mm MDF, with vynyl stretched over and stapled at the edges. The place i got my vynyl from has gone bust, but I noticed my local john lewis had similar in their haberdashery (or whatever its called) dept. If you get the right kinda vynyl with decent stretchyness it can be 'pulled over' edges and holes, and moulds well around corners.

I used felt under the sheet to give a bit of softness - some have gone for greater padding using camping mat foam.

I taught myself to sew using a 2 quid machine off ebay - I went for a bold two colour effect to go with the (when its sprayed) black exterior. I picked up the 'sunray' idea from an old Jag in the coventry museum of road transport.

The pic shows the door panels, the rear bulkhead panel (hole is for boot release) and the tranny cover. 'nitted my own' gear gaiter and handbrake cover too. The 'banded' effect on the cover is by sewing in folds under the cloth (like a series of T shapes (which then fold flat) to 'bulk out' the pleated look.

One way of skinning a cat.

atb

steve

ps - http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/

might have books or provide advice?

[Edited on 26/1/06 by steve_gus] Rescued attachment upholstery.jpg
Rescued attachment upholstery.jpg

RazMan - 27/1/06 at 12:06 AM

Nice work Steve! Thats the level of 'softness' I had in mind. The tunnel top & sides should be pretty straight forward but my dash is quite complex and will be a real challenge. Apart from the instruments there are heater vents, switches and even a dummy glovebox (for electrics)

Its gonna be fun

oliwb - 27/1/06 at 09:18 AM

That looks cool! Oli.

zetec - 27/1/06 at 09:41 AM

I used a company called Martrim tel. 01270 767771. They are good on price and they stock loads of stuff. They supplied my leather and they also do vinyl, foam, heel pads for the carpet, carpet fixings...the list goes on. I used spray on glue for attaching foam and vinyl and contact adhesive for fixing the material to the back of the trim panels (ali and ply). The spray on stuff is good as it is far easier to apply and therefore less chance of getting it on your hand and the stuff you are trying to stick. One tip is not to try and stretch anything to fit....cut it too big and only stretch as much as you need to get a smooth finish....measure twice-cut once!

There are a few photos on my archive.

[Edited on 27/1/06 by zetec]

donut - 27/1/06 at 09:52 AM

RazMan, have a look in Zetec's pic archive as his interior is to die for!!!!!!!

RazMan - 27/1/06 at 10:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by donut
RazMan, have a look in Zetec's pic archive as his interior is to die for!!!!!!!

I just did that - superb stuff!
Coincidentally, thats the colour of my car and interior too!

donut - 27/1/06 at 10:03 AM

When i get the time i'll be doing a similar interior..............only if i find i'm good enough!!!!

scotty g - 27/1/06 at 11:19 AM

If you can skip past all the bitchiness in this months KITCAR mag there is an article on dash trimming, its quite interesting.

RazMan - 27/1/06 at 11:50 AM

I heard they were changing the name to 'Bitch Car'

Thanks scotty, I'll have a look for it tomorrow