Board logo

Finishing Carbon Fibre
RichieC - 27/2/06 at 09:57 PM

Hi,

Just having a dash idea............How easy is it to achieve a good finish with proper carbon fibre?
Can it be easily routered to give a radiused edge? Do the edges go dull or can they be finished the same as the surface?

Thanks for any advice

Richie

Major Stare - 27/2/06 at 10:02 PM

Cutting to a radius can be done, but i it would leave you with a dull finish.

DIY Si - 27/2/06 at 10:02 PM

Is it not possible to curve the egde of the sheet? or is it too thick for such things?

Just had another thought, would it poss to persaude Triton to knock up a curved bit that can be attached for the sva?

[Edited on 27/2/06 by DIY Si]

RichieC - 27/2/06 at 10:05 PM

Im only talking 3mm thickness but the radius isnt for SVA, just so it looks tidy.

I guessed it would go dull when cut, no biggy though.

Thanks for the replies

Rich

kendo - 28/2/06 at 10:51 AM

Once you have cut and radiused the edge just work through the grades of wet and dry with a bit of soapy water (just like polishing paint) and you can polish the cut surface.

tom_loughlin - 28/2/06 at 10:57 AM

are you looking to make your own from scratch, or buy an existing one, and round the edges?
Mine is a GTS carbon dash, and has the raduis moulded in at the bottom - went through sva fine.
I would imagine that mr sva wouldnt pass a routed one,as the radius had to be 17mm (or something like that) - it you put such a large radius on a material with thickness only 4mm, in effect, you would be sharpening the edge.

Tom

RichieC - 28/2/06 at 11:06 AM

Ill reiterate, its not for SVA I was wanting to round the edges, it was purely for asthetics.

The material Im using is 3mm so clearly a 16mm radius isnt going to work. Im only doing a couple of panels not the entire dash.