Board logo

Which narrow seats??
owelly - 11/4/06 at 09:54 PM

I've been trawling through the searchs thingy but I'm not having much success!
The distance between my transmission tunnel and the inside if the side (!) of the car is 15". I have started to make some seats out of tube and they just need the webbing/springs/foam/etc.... but I was wondering what other (locost/cheapo)options I have? I'm happy to attach pads to the inside of the car for lateral support (there's not much room for movement with my fat ar5e).
Any help will be appreciated.

Dale - 11/4/06 at 10:00 PM

After months of screwing around and getting fed up of being too poor to be able to drop $500 cnd on seats I have got my bench seats figured out. just alot of experimenting to get the foam shaped right- even have some lumbar suport.
If things work out I should be sewing tommorow. Being covered in black and white marine vinyle.
Dale

owelly - 11/4/06 at 10:14 PM

I cobbled together a couple of seats here....

These are a nice fit but with the best will in the world, will always look cr4p!

Pezza - 11/4/06 at 10:15 PM

I had grief finding seats to fit my pre-lit westy as it was very restrictive space wise.
Ended up going with intertrim rangers, fit fine and where suprising comfy

owelly - 12/4/06 at 09:32 PM

I have had a good old tidy in the garage and found the plastic 'school' seats that I nabbed to go in the car. They will do for now!!

Browser - 13/4/06 at 07:35 AM

I've got a pair from a Bedford Midi van, they're narrow enough. Even if I don't use the foam the frames'll be a good starting point. Also same seats in Bedford Rascal, Suzuki Super Carry, Toyota Hiace.

owelly - 13/4/06 at 05:41 PM

Good plan! I'll have a ride to the scrappy on Tuesday.

andyps - 18/4/06 at 12:48 PM

I was following a Daihatsu hiJet pick up the other day and it had seats which looked like they might be a good shape for a locost you can see some in this van here. Don't know what width they are though.

Browser - 18/4/06 at 12:59 PM

Forgot to mention the Hijet, I think it was another product of the collaboration that produced the Rascal/Super Carry. You used to be able to purchase a kit from someone along the lines of NF Auto Developments to re-trim a pair of these seats but I don't know whom/whether it's still available.