Board logo

Interior trim - leather?
Lawnmower - 22/5/06 at 09:13 PM

Just wondering what people use for trimming out the cars intereior.

Guessing some people leave bare aluminium, but i prefer some kind of trim. fake eatehr seems to be populer, but how does this compare to real leather?

Was looking on ebay and you can pick up 2nd hand leather sofas dead cheap!

zetec - 22/5/06 at 09:23 PM

Leather just as cheap as vinyl on Ebay. You don't need much even if you trim all the panels. Use some thin foam under the covering as it gives a better finish, 6mm is good.

tom_loughlin - 23/5/06 at 07:50 AM

I got my leather for ebay - £40 for a half-hide, which is more than enough. as zetec said, get some 6mm foam, and it sure looks the part, its just a shame you cant smell it while driving, and getting in ad out of the car.

Tom

RazMan - 23/5/06 at 08:15 AM

Alcantara is my choice - hard wearing and looks really plush. Available off the roll so very little wastage.

gingerprince - 23/5/06 at 11:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Alcantara is my choice - hard wearing and looks really plush

Until it rains

stevebubs - 23/5/06 at 12:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Alcantara is my choice - hard wearing and looks really plush

Until it rains

No - good alcantara will not be that affected by the rain. If anything, leather will come off the worse in a back to back test (have you tried on leather gloves when they've got wet and dried out? Stiff aren't they...).

S

[Edited on 23/5/06 by stevebubs]

Lawnmower - 23/5/06 at 01:01 PM

Didn't realise it was that cheap.
Guess it'll be a while before it get to this stage anyway.

A well waxed leather should be ok though....leather rigger gloves i reckon are deigned so they get hard when wet, so you buy a new pair.

RazMan - 23/5/06 at 02:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince

Until it rains

Which is when I put up my roof

harvey115 - 24/5/06 at 11:20 AM

I can supply alcantara by the meter but its not cheap it normaly sells for about £80 a metre, i sell for £50 plus pap. or i can carry out the trim work for u my website is www>interiorwizzard.com or you can ring me on 07771921692