Board logo

Seat retrimming prices
Danozeman - 6/6/06 at 05:56 PM

Has anyone had there seats retrimmed in vinyl or similar?

Im just after a rough guess of cost if you dont mind posting it..

caber - 6/6/06 at 06:09 PM

Cost me £350 to get 2 Range Rover seats retrimmed, about £60 materials the rest labour, having done some square pads before myself I think this was a fair price!

Caber

Danozeman - 6/6/06 at 06:36 PM

Iv got some cloth westfield seats i want retrimmed. If 350 is the price i may aswell get some second hand vinyl ones.

Confused but excited. - 6/6/06 at 06:40 PM

I was quoted £170 to have a pair of Cobra seats recovered in cloth by those nice people at Cobra.
So I bought a pair of 16" wide minibus seats for £25.

RazMan - 6/6/06 at 10:23 PM

My fibreglass shells cost £500 to get them trimmed in Alcantara ....... but for gods sake don't tell SWMBO

chrsgrain - 7/6/06 at 04:01 PM

Have they been done yet Razman - interested to see how they came out??

We're hoping to do ours ourselves - planning to spend £100 on a sewing machine and a bit more on materials... should be fun however it turns out...

Chris

RazMan - 7/6/06 at 04:35 PM

In my case the materials were going to cost about £250 and like you I was prepared to buy a reasonable sewing machine which was tough enough to sew Alcantara. The main thing that put me off was the fact that a fibreglass shell is really awkward to trim shape wise.
You have to create the shape in foam, stick it to the shell and then make the cover to fit the contours exactly, but as I wanted to leave the backs untrimmed (painted silver) you have to glue the edges with some industrial strength contact adhesive in the hollow behind the edge. Most trimmers have an array of clamps, wedges, widgets and doo-dahs which have been crafted over the years and I didn't want to risk ruining £250 of Alcantara.

In other words I wussed out

My seats are promised this week but I told them there was no rush as I am still doing bodywork at the moment.
They did email me my embroidered logo though Rescued attachment seat embroidery.jpg
Rescued attachment seat embroidery.jpg

chrsgrain - 7/6/06 at 07:43 PM

Hmm - pretty!

We've got some second hand elise seats in pretty bad nick - so will use the old coverings as templates for new - which might make it a bit easier - if not we'll wuss out as well!

Chris

RazMan - 7/6/06 at 09:36 PM

Ah if you've got the original covers then you are laughing - at least you can skip the design stage.
Funny enough I tried a pair of leather Elise seats in my middy. They were nearly a good fit and just a tad too upright for my low roof. Nice comfy seats though, and the inflatable lumbar doo-dah was good for my dodgy back ....... so I am putting one in my new seats