Board logo

Checkerplate floor
ReMan - 29/6/06 at 10:49 PM

I've cut out my checkerplate floor panels tonight, which will be fitted ON TOP OF the ally floor, for looks and grip.
I was planning to use 3 or 4 small pop rivets just to keep them in place. I was'nt sure wether I need something in the sandwich, either PU, grease, thin laminate floor insulation, maybe to stop the rattling or corroding??

Any suggestions or tips regarding fitting them please?

RazMan - 29/6/06 at 10:53 PM

If you leave an air gap it will encourage water to hide in there, possibly giving problems later.
How about a sandwich using 1mm rubber? - good for preventing panel 'drumming' too.

Chippy - 29/6/06 at 10:54 PM

If you stick em down with PU, you definately wont need any pop rivets, plus I sincerely hope that you wont want to take them out later, sticks like excrement to wooly material. Regards Chippy

Hellfire - 30/6/06 at 08:27 AM

Colin, we've made ours so they are removeable. We used a strip of draught excluder around the edges of the passenger side panel to prevent it vibrating whilst driving without passenger. The drivers side doesn't need any cos it doesn't vibrate with your feet on it.

Makes it easier to clean out small stones, grit, water etc. which can gather in the footwell.

Phil

stevebubs - 30/6/06 at 11:03 AM

Interference fit with a couple of strips of rubber underneath is what I'm planning...

ReMan - 2/7/06 at 09:41 PM

Thanks for the tips fellas.
I decided on removable, just in case it got wet, manky etc. so I've fitted them with M4 dome screws and nuts, thinking, I'll never want these out ever

We washed it this evening, with the battery tray out because I still need access to fit the f-ing wing mirrors
Guess what, the footwells filled with water