Board logo

Under dash area and SVA
esn163 - 11/7/06 at 09:42 PM

Hi,

we are just in the process of setting the car up for SVA and are unsure of how tidy wiring etc. has to be under the dash.
Also, we have noticed some have panelled the whole under dash area in for SVA have people passed without doing this? Currently, the wiring is in a mix of convoluted tube and wrapped in between with insulating tape and where it goes through the ally panel into wiring area behind, the edges are protected with plastic edging strip. Is it worth panelling this whole area anyway? Also is there anything else worth covering under the dash.

Thanks

Ed

Humbug - 11/7/06 at 10:05 PM

My wiring is bundled together with cable ties onto the rails, etc. but I made a cover with a piece of an old plastic bath panel - looks a lot neater and keeps things out of reach of Mr SVA's balls!

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=2005-08-28%202%20Locost%20underdash%20panel.jpg

DavidM - 11/7/06 at 10:11 PM

This seems to be one of those areas where each test centre has a different interpretation.

Mine was SVA'd at Nottingham. I made a tray above the transmission tunnel to hold all of the under dash wiring. This left very little under the dash that was contactable. The underside of the column support bracket was carpeted, the cut off switch bulked up and radiussed, and the scuttle edges trimmed. Passed OK.

David

donut - 11/7/06 at 10:37 PM

Best to get all wiring etc hidden away. They have an exclusion zone so many mm above the base of the seat. Anything above that measurement in the footwell comes under sva edge regs. I had a load of relays which i should have failed on but he let me get away with it.

Chippy - 11/7/06 at 11:02 PM

I panelled mine in with a couple of pieces of hardboard, covered with some vynil, SVA man took one glance at it, and that was that. I think if they cant see the wiring, it's like it not there. My advise, cover it in, why fail on a simple item, can always take it out later, if your that worried about the weight. Chippy.

esn163 - 12/7/06 at 08:09 AM

Thanks for the replies guys - some great ideas there, will have a go at panelling it with something

Cheers

Ed

[Edited on 12/7/06 by esn163]

bimbleuk - 12/7/06 at 10:06 AM

I used corrugated ali sheet under the dash and cut a couple access holes for fuses etc. I used edge strip on these of course. My wiring was a complete mess tucked behind the dash but hidden by the panel. No problem passing SVA. I have since tidied the wring!

Guinness - 12/7/06 at 03:01 PM

I left mine open wish I hadn't really. Only fail was the spade type terminals on the flasher relay weren't insulated.

Not bad, but to change them involved me lying with my head in the footwell, arse on the seat with me feet hanging over the roll bar!

Glad no-one had a camera!

Mike