Board logo

upholstery disaster!!
Jumpy Guy - 14/9/06 at 09:17 PM

after finally completing the foam and vinyl extravaganza that is my interior, disaster struck!!

The heat in august made my garage like a furnace, and as a result, the spray on upholstery glue has given up.

all of the vinyl has come away from the foam, and my seat pads are 'baggy'

the glue has become a sticky residue....

anyone used anything else to do the job? any recommendations??

zetec - 14/9/06 at 09:26 PM

Evostik is good but you tend to get just one go when going edges, and it's not as easy to apply.

JUD - 14/9/06 at 09:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jumpy Guy

anyone used anything else to do the job? any recommendations??

GRP seats?

Martin

DIY Si - 14/9/06 at 09:59 PM

Staples?

ecosse - 14/9/06 at 10:00 PM

Everbuild smart tack, comes in a spray can and is heat resistant up to about 90degree's from memory and is incredibly strong, I upholstered my campervan with it after trying just about every other make I could find and having it fall off during the summer months

Cheers
Alex
PS
Evilstick does not like high temps either

http://www.everbuild.co.uk

[Edited on 14/9/06 by ecosse]

chrisj - 15/9/06 at 07:01 AM

Had to put some sound deadening material around a two stroke and Woolies recommended an adhesive which i good to 280 degrees or gas mark silly. Only comes in 1 litre pots however, could stick tiles to the space shuttle.

Hellfire - 15/9/06 at 07:34 AM

FWIW - the adhesive typically soakes into the vinyl and foam - it sticks until you move it. Then it peels off.

If you are using impact adhesive always put a priming coat on first - let it soak in for a while then do it again before placing.

You're not the first to do it m8

In the end we used what we had left of the PU adhesive... seems to have done the job but it went everywhere!!!!

David Jenkins - 15/9/06 at 07:59 AM

I have used that spray adhesive several times - never again! Every time it behaved exactly like you describe.

Lately I've been using Evo-Stick Timebond, available from all the usual DIY places. Relatively cheap, easy to use, qucik drying and sticks like the proverbial. You also get a chance to reposition the work, until you push hard (hence 'timebond' ).

David

[Edited on 15/9/06 by David Jenkins]

Peteff - 15/9/06 at 09:05 AM

My answer to everything, fold it over, glue it down and gaffer tape the edges to stop it lifting. I only use adhesive to locate stuff till I staple it down permanently

emsfactory - 15/9/06 at 09:33 AM

I found the spray glue Ok if you can staple down the edges. Its not great on parts where you have to rely on the glue on its own.

Jumpy Guy - 15/9/06 at 09:43 AM

Thankee kindly for the suggestions!!

ecosse - 15/9/06 at 05:56 PM

I used smart tack (spray) to stick floor type lino to a roof, nothing else holding it (and its quite heavy stuff) and its still up after 6 months and 2 weeks in the south of france (average 34deg) so don't confuse it with normal spray glue, it really does work