Board logo

Harness tidies?
RazMan - 12/10/06 at 08:33 AM

I've got loads of spare harness length due to using long harnesses and having a short distance between seat and mounts.
What is the usual thing to do with the spare length? Logic says to snip it off and get the ends restitched but I don't want to contravene any safety regs.

ayoungman - 12/10/06 at 09:30 AM

I had a similar problem with the Avon. I payed a visit to my local scrap yard. A lot of new cars eg Vauxall and Renault use a plastic outer sheath to protect the loom. They also use really nice plastic grommits to finish off the end of the plastic. Some even have waterproof seals where the wire strands exit the plastic sheath. You can get a variety of diameters from 30mm down to 10mm. I've covered the whole loom with the stuff. It only took an hour to get everything I needed...... a £5

Smacks forehead with palm of hand and says DOH !

[Edited on 4/1/07 by ayoungman]

Hammerhead - 12/10/06 at 09:54 AM

think Razman means seat belt harness

Richard Quinn - 12/10/06 at 10:10 AM

All I've done in my race car is to get them to roughly the correct length, unclip the end from the mounting, sort of roll/fold the excess length up next to the strap itself and then put a couple of rubber bands around the strap and excess to hold it together (then clip it back to the mounting!). I've also seen the same sort of thing done with tape and what looked like heatshrink.

TimC - 12/10/06 at 10:45 AM

Depending on what you are doing with the car, I'd be tempted to take them to the local cobbler and get them stitched.

Can't see how, if done properly, it would make the belts unsafe.

Rgds

TC

Marcus - 12/10/06 at 11:18 AM

Agrred, cut, seal with soldering iron, fold over and sew. That's what I did for the first pair, bought Westy length Lukes 2 years later.

RazMan - 12/10/06 at 12:03 PM

Thanks guys - look like we are thinking on similar lines.
Now where did i put those snips?