Board logo

Heater ducting hose fitting?
RazMan - 17/10/06 at 09:16 AM

I've got a problem with the corrugated alluminium duct / hose which attaches to the demist vents (supplied by CBS)
The hoses are 40mm i/d and they fit snugly onto the 40mm o/d inlet boss, but the ally hose just slips off even when secured with a cable tie as the ally just crushes down. Is there a rubber moulding available to make a better push-fit? I can't have a permanent connection as I need to remove the dash occasionally.

nick205 - 17/10/06 at 10:07 AM

Could you make a ridge or barbs of some kind on the plastic outlet pipe like you have for coolant pipes?

Maybe make a few small slits into the pipe and then use some heat to bend some tabs out. That might be enough to stop the cable tie moving.

HAL 1 - 17/10/06 at 10:07 AM

could you wrap a bit of plastic insulation tape around the boss to make it just a little bit bigger so that it might hold on better ?
or if the boss is long enough it might even form some sort of lip to pass the duct over and then tie wrap which should stop it slipping of

Humbug - 17/10/06 at 10:08 AM

failing finding a rubber moulding, how about glueing a piece of bike inner tube on the boss and forcing the ducting over that?

or duck tape?

02GF74 - 17/10/06 at 10:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
how about glueing a piece of bike inner tube on the boss and forcing the ducting over that?

beat me to it. you should be able to strewtch that over the tube, puyt the hose over it and then maybe another bit over both to make it nice and air tight..... but depends on how much room you have to get hands/fingers in to fit it.

PeterW - 17/10/06 at 11:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
I've got a problem with the corrugated alluminium duct / hose which attaches to the demist vents (supplied by CBS)
The hoses are 40mm i/d and they fit snugly onto the 40mm o/d inlet boss, but the ally hose just slips off even when secured with a cable tie as the ally just crushes down. Is there a rubber moulding available to make a better push-fit? I can't have a permanent connection as I need to remove the dash occasionally.

Get hold of some self adhesive foam tape, about 4mm thick and wrap around the spigot. The ally will crush onto this and hold tight.

Cheers

Peter

RazMan - 17/10/06 at 12:29 PM

Thanks for all the ideas guys - I have come up with a solution with your help.
I have used a little PU adhesive and glued a turn of 1mm neoprene strip around the spigot. This gives a kind of 'barb' which retains the hose without any need for a cable tie.