Board logo

Driving Position
Dave Bailey - 26/11/06 at 07:25 PM

Looking for some information on driving position... I have just fitted my driving seat and set up my pedal box. I have a couple of concerns about the driving position and now is the coreect time to try and put it right if indeed I need to. Head height is above the roll bar and I cannot get my legs straight and flat with the seat in the furthest position backwards. I am just over 6 foot so it may be that I am expecting the position to be perfect and it never will be.....

any advice

Dave B

DIY Si - 26/11/06 at 07:33 PM

I'm 6'3", and fit fine it my Indy. If you're struggling, you could get/put a bolster on the edge of the seat to raise your thighs up. Also. are your pedals top or bottom swivling?

Hellfire - 26/11/06 at 07:37 PM

What kind of seats do you have fitted? If they're padded ala Cobra's etc, then you could try some bare GRP seats to get you seated lower and further back.

Phil

Dave Bailey - 26/11/06 at 07:47 PM

I have cobra seats! I have floor mounted pedals and I am just shortening the cylinder rods to move the pedal a bit further towards the bulkhead.....

Hellfire - 26/11/06 at 07:52 PM

That may give you some more length for your legs but your head will still be higher than the roll bar GRP seats may be the answer. If you've never tried them before, they are surprisingly comfortable

Phil

Peteff - 26/11/06 at 11:32 PM

If you do you will get problems at the back of your knees, better to have them bent with support behind your thighs and somewhere to ledge your heels.

RazMan - 27/11/06 at 12:02 AM

Seats are far more important than most people realise. You have to choose something which gives you the right amount of legroom along with a comfortable 'layback' angle to suit your build.
I went through 4 pairs of seats before settling on my Ultima jobbies. Being 6'2" but tall in the body rather than the legs, I found all conventional seats were just too upright for comfort or headroom (my car's a hard top)

My suggestion is to try as many seats as you can park your bum in as possible and find one that feels right. If you are fairly tall then fibreglass shells with no padding are a must - they are suprisingly comfortable btw. You should also make sure your thighs are supported or your legs will ache and you will lose 'feel' in clutch & brake pedals after a while.

Phil.J - 27/11/06 at 09:19 AM

Draw out the side view of the car to scale showing seats, steering wheel and pedal position. Then make a cardboard sideview template of you with articulating limbs at shoulder, elbow, wrist, hip, knee, ankle and neck.
Offer the cardboard 'you' up to the car and move things around until it looks right and then it usually is!
ATB
Phil