Board logo

bike speedo - longevity?
02GF74 - 6/12/06 at 11:05 AM

anyone have any data on how long a bike speedo lasts on a car? in particular the sensor (reed switch)

my rough sums show that a prop shaft mounted sensor will run about 500 times faster than a bike.

I've been through several bike speedos (on bikes) but never had the reed switch go - it is usually the contacts o nthe head that go bad.

Admitedly reed switches are pennies but it still would be a pain having to replace them.

How have people mounted the magnet on the prop? presumably the sensore is attached to a bracket the bolts onto the gearbox?

JAG - 6/12/06 at 11:45 AM

I placed my magnet/reed switch on the inside of one of the back wheels.

So far I've done over 4500 miles and it hasn't missed a beat.

paulf - 6/12/06 at 01:08 PM

My bike speedo is driven by the magnet on the front wheel and has done over 3000 miles so far with no problems , it is a sigma 1200.
Paul.

Colnago_Man - 6/12/06 at 01:13 PM

Slightly O/T but did you know that a lot of bike speedo's have built-in heart rate monitors, might add an extra level of interest for those hairy track days!

Kissy - 6/12/06 at 04:51 PM

Why would you fit the sensor to the prop? Have you considered the axle ratio when inputting the wheel circumference ?
I think I'm with most by fitting to the rear wheel.

02GF74 - 6/12/06 at 04:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kissy
Why would you fit the sensor to the prop? Have you considered the axle ratio when inputting the wheel circumference ?
I think I'm with most by fitting to the rear wheel.

shorter wires? yep I know what my diff ratio is - I counted it when I replaced the gasket.

RoadkillUK - 6/12/06 at 06:21 PM

Sigma 1600 here with the sensor on the front wheel, had no problems with over 3000 miles

steve faunch - 6/12/06 at 08:37 PM

mines done 1100 and still going req new batt once a year tho
fitting on the prop means the read switch works more often shortening its life