Board logo

Aluminum Composite Sheet
chriscook - 10/12/06 at 02:29 PM

I was planning on using carbon fibre for a new dashboard but the price is rather off putting. In looking for alternatives I stumbled on this aluminium composite sheet. Its two thin (0.3mm) sheets of black ali sandwiching a polyethylene core. Has anyone any experience of this material and if it'll work well for a dash.

Cheers,
Chris

[Edited on 10/12/06 by chriscook]

BenB - 10/12/06 at 02:57 PM

Looks okay to me You can get similar stuff with plastic facing on it. Its pretty stiff and strong (and light).
As long as you need a flat sheet it's okay. Bending angles is tricky, curves pretty impossible...
The bottom of the dash would obviously need to made from something else then....

chriscook - 10/12/06 at 03:00 PM

Already passed SVA so don't need a rolled edge Although I would quite like one to finish off the lower edge.

Humbug - 10/12/06 at 03:09 PM

Looks OK but you would have a hard time making a dash from a piece only 390mm x 100mm

madman280 - 10/12/06 at 07:17 PM

I've seen some of this stuff. Is a very non structural product. Is 3mm thick but only has 0.3mm aluminum skins. I would imagine if a start button or signal switch were mounted on it it would deform as it was used. You might still need to re-inforce behind with aluminum sheet.

Kook - 10/12/06 at 09:13 PM

No this stuff is very good stuff its very strong and very easy to work with ... I am making all my alli stuff with it as my mate can get me it cheap.

Mike R-F - 10/12/06 at 10:31 PM

Stuff your talking about goes by the trade name of Dibond (one of many manufacturers). It is very strong & light. Comes (generally) in 3 or 5mm. 3 is plenty strong enough for a dash. I've just used it for a large quantity of signage on a projest I've designed & installed for a local authority. Easy to cut, too. Excellent stuff!

erwe - 11/12/06 at 05:54 AM

I have used it for the bottom 4 mm and also 2 mm. It is very strong and easy to cut or drill. You can't bend it.

soggy 3 - 11/12/06 at 01:54 PM

I used it where i used to work there is dibond the thinner stuff and alucobond which is a bit thicker i have made my dash out of alucobond its realy good stuff and at about £50 a square metre(or out the back door) not cheep to buy .

chriscook - 11/12/06 at 10:50 PM

Sounds like this could be good stuff - I have emailed the seller and asked for an off-cut to get a look at it. I may try dropping down to a signs place and see if they have any.

My preferred material is still carbon sheet but its too expensive. I don't want a vinyl, plain ally or wood dash. If I try and paint a sheet of ali I don't think I'll get a great finish and it'll probably scratch easily.

The ebay seller does sheets in 1x1.5m for £52 +postage. I'll see if he can do 1.5x0.5m and what the damage will be.

madman280 - 23/12/06 at 04:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kook
No this stuff is very good stuff its very strong and very easy to work with ... I am making all my alli stuff with it as my mate can get me it cheap.

I wouldn't mind checking out a small off cut. The stuff out local signmaker showed me seemed to dent very easily and he recomended not using it. I should have known there is more than one type and grade. Applogies, my comment wasn't meant to mislead, guess we live and learn everyday.

chriscook - 23/12/06 at 05:58 PM

I managed to get a few small offcuts from my local sign place and it seems pretty good, although he only had it in white easily on hand. The core is a lot denser than I was expecting actually.

I can't dent it with thumb pressure but can with a screwdriver. It is nice and stiff but can bend it in my hands but its not very easy and does so to quite a large radius. It weighs approx the same as 1.3mm ali sheet.

I think I'm going to give it a try in the new year. He wanted approx £25 for a sheet 600x1200x3.

The ebay seller never go back to me so they lose out..

Chris