Board logo

Fitting harness holes to seats
macnab - 15/12/06 at 08:49 AM

Hi,

For a while I have had a nice pair of seat like the ones in the picture. Now see those top harness holes? I don't have them but I do have the plastic bits now to fit them. Has anyone been brave enough to take a knife to their good seats and cut holes right through them !! If so let me know how you did it, as I have been putting this of for months...

cheers

[Edited on 15/12/06 by macnab] Rescued attachment seat.jpg
Rescued attachment seat.jpg

macnab - 15/12/06 at 08:52 AM

thought I might mention that these seats are really not very comfy as they have poor leg support. Just I case you were about to buy some...

[Edited on 15/12/06 by macnab]

Humbug - 15/12/06 at 11:06 AM

Hi - I didn't have these same seats but I did fit some harness holes to a different pair. The problems I had were:

1. narrow seats, so it was difficult to space the holes correctly.

2. rounded hole trims, so difficult to measure and get a good fit, as well as line them up.

3. difficult to get the two parts of the hole trim to stay together.

It turns out that my seats (Intatrim) were not supposed to have holes in them, and the hole trims that came with the seats the guy I bought them from were from a different type of seat...

Having said all that, if the trims you have got are for the same model of seat, it may be OK. Here's a thread which discusses fitting the holes to Cobra seats: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=15186&page=1

macnab - 15/12/06 at 11:50 AM

how handy is that! its even the same seats, cheers!

the_fbi - 15/12/06 at 07:05 PM

Make sure when you fit them you do it with them high enough up.

There are 2 versions of that seat, an early one with the slots lower down and this will NOT pass SVA, and a later one, with higher slots which will pass SVA.

gregf27 - 15/12/06 at 08:46 PM

When I bought my cobra seats from the factory at Telford , they only had the seats in the sale without the harness slots, Isaid I would have bought them if the slots were fitted, apparantly they are all set up to accept them, so the bloke whisked em away , returning ten minutes later with the slots put in , cost an extra £20 or so, well worth it!

macnab - 18/12/06 at 05:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by the_fbi
Make sure when you fit them you do it with them high enough up.

There are 2 versions of that seat, an early one with the slots lower down and this will NOT pass SVA, and a later one, with higher slots which will pass SVA.

Oh thats handy to know I'll check the hole height first. Thanks

scutter - 18/12/06 at 08:58 PM

I agree with Greg here, I brought some seats from cobra,they then sold me the harness slots thinking it was for a seat with holes in already.

I phoned up for some measurements and they said I should chance ruining the seats and they would fit them for me if I brought them up to the factory. A short drive to Telford and 15 minutes later job done, they even let me watch the bloke fit them.

In his words the biggest problem I would have had after finding the metal frame inside the seat(it's already there for the factory holes) is glueing the two halfs together and holding it so they didn't seperate.

Hope it helps Dan.