Board logo

BMW heated steering wheel
jlparsons - 15/1/07 at 05:16 PM

Seems an obvious one this; no weight penalty, got to be nice in freezing weather. Was wondering if anyone had tried using an old 3 series steering column and wheel and kept the heating? Or any other way to do it? Or anyone know of any good reason why not?
Tad poncey for a locost I know, but itd be another thing to keep me driving it lots into the winter.

Aboardman - 15/1/07 at 05:19 PM

locost method put on some gloves

jlparsons - 15/1/07 at 05:28 PM

There can't be that much difference in cost, it'd be an old steering column from a wreck whether sierra or old 3 series. And I'd be using the original wheel.

PAUL FISHER - 15/1/07 at 06:01 PM

Heated steering wheel,you will be driving around in a pair of these next

jlparsons - 15/1/07 at 06:14 PM

I already have the very same!
Hhhmmm, only two mikey-take responses? Is everyone asleep tonight or what....?

big_wasa - 15/1/07 at 06:52 PM

How big is a series 3 Wheel ?

jlparsons - 15/1/07 at 07:01 PM

The regular one was fairly large, the sport version was smaller, not sure on exact dimensions (i'm thinking of the late 80s early 90s one, last 3 series with proper round heatlights). May be airbag to remove too. Might still be on the large side for a 7, hence wondering if anyone had tried it already. Otherwise DIY job I guess, but I'm not sure if I could be bothered with that, would be a whole new project.

James - 15/1/07 at 07:26 PM

Heated might work in a tintop... I'm not sure it'd be man enough to make much difference on a wintry day.

A pair of fleecy gloves saw me through a wet November and the cold first days of December though!

Just keep your hands low below the dash and it's really not too bad!

Cheers,
James

jlparsons - 15/1/07 at 07:48 PM

True, but with full weather gear on it might be more useful. Weather gear is a priority for me anyway as I want this for an every day car, so a lot of my priorities are to do with practicality. If I can do it for no more effort than using a different steering column then what the hell.

caber - 15/1/07 at 07:58 PM

Nancy motorcyclist heated gloves sound like better bet, I think you can even get electric long johns for geriatric motorcyclists these days, probably not locost though!

Locost version.. find an old overnight electric blanket, these are low voltage for safety, strip out the elements and sew into thermals!

Caber

SixedUp - 15/1/07 at 08:36 PM

Sainsburys had thinsulate lined gloves on sale for £2 last time I was in there. Hardly seems worth the effort to worry about anything more sophisticated ... :-)
Cheers
Richard

les - 15/1/07 at 09:12 PM

how about re-wiring a pair of motorbike heated grips!

andyps - 15/1/07 at 09:36 PM

I thought it was a fairly recent thing by BMW to fit heated steering wheels. Even if youfitted one it would only warm the palms of your hands and they are out of the cold air anyway.

David Jenkins - 15/1/07 at 10:22 PM

Anyone tried those "Vulcan" gloves? So named because they have 3 fingers - thumb in its place, 1st & 2nd fingers in the next place, 3rd & 4th in the last. Supposed to help keep fingers warm. Described here.

This is of particular interest to me, as I always suffer with cold hands - I have no windscreen, so the 1st fingers suffer badly as they're in the airstream. Came home the other day with the 1st fingers on both hands white and hurting. Rest of my hands (and the rest of me) was warm enough.

David

jlparsons - 15/1/07 at 11:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andyps
I thought it was a fairly recent thing by BMW to fit heated steering wheels. Even if youfitted one it would only warm the palms of your hands and they are out of the cold air anyway.

As they say, "if your feet are cold, put a hat on!"

And you might be right, might be that there's no earlier 3 series heated wheel, though I think the big BMWs had them early. Will have to have a look about the scrappies. I'm not too bothered about it though, I won't look too hard.

locost_bryan - 26/1/07 at 02:46 AM

To keep it authentic, shouldn't you get your heated wheel off a 7-series?

Colin would be spinning in his grave

What about ski gloves? They'd match the ski goggles you need for a Brooklands screen.