Board logo

fuel tank breather
Steve Lovelock - 2/2/07 at 06:01 PM

I bought a fuel tank and need to get an extra tube in it for a vent. It's an ali tank and I can't weld aluminium so would appreciate any other suggestions on how I could over come this issue?

stevec - 2/2/07 at 06:03 PM

Could you put a small tubular threaded fitting of some sort in the filler neck?
Steve.

nitram38 - 2/2/07 at 06:11 PM

Buy a two way valve and put it in the filler cap?

BenB - 2/2/07 at 06:11 PM

Few options spring to mind....

Epoxy it in? Fairly strong and petrol proof IIRC....
Technoweld.... Pretty easy but obviously not if the tank has had petrol in it!!!!
Screw-in tip-over valve (need to get access through the filler hole to put the rear nut on)...

Steve Lovelock - 2/2/07 at 06:17 PM

I could put a treaded fitting into the main section of the tank near the sendor unit but I don't know where to get one from.

Or I could use the ali solder stuff that Frost's sell but I wasn't sure if the tank would take being heated to the required level and whether the sold stuff would be strong enough for such a job?

nitram38 - 2/2/07 at 06:34 PM

"think automotive" in twickenham will supply you with different breather valves.

Paul (Notts) - 2/2/07 at 06:46 PM

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/FUEL-SYSTEMS-Tank-Breather-Valve/c26_215/index.html

should be able to find cheeper..

Paul

caber - 2/2/07 at 06:49 PM

Many fuel guage senders include delivery and return pipes. you could use one of these and cut the pipe flush with the sender, you may also be able to solder a pipe to your existing sender plate if it is top mounted.

Caber

JB - 3/2/07 at 10:41 AM

Have a look HERE

I used a plastic tank so had to bolt everything in.

All my plumbing was bought from Think.

John