Board logo

rear panel trim - ideas & inspirations?
02GF74 - 13/2/07 at 12:44 PM

looking for ideas for applying trim to the panel that is behind the seats (dunno what the proper term is).

At the mo'it is plain ali but I have some spare vinyl cloth that wold match other black vinyl cloth parts.

Thinking of taking a strip of ali, folding and gluing the cloth around the edge then fixing with sel tappers - the idea being the the edge of the vinyl is not showing.

Ideall if I believed glues were strong enough, I wouldn't be using self tappers.

Also if I fit the srip first, the cloth would go over it so the fasteners are not seen but that would only be possible on the top.

Any better ideas for fixing the cloth?

(painting or CF trim is out since I want to use what I already have)

.... added picture to show what I'm wittering on about; it is the aluminium coloured part between the seats.
[img][/img]

[Edited on 13/2/07 by 02GF74]

worX - 13/2/07 at 12:47 PM

I was having the exact same thoughts, and I used to do a bit of trimming and your hiding the top is the way that I would do it - however I can't bring myself to add any unnecessary weight to my car, so I may just leave it or paint it...

02GF74 - 13/2/07 at 12:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by worX
however I can't bring myself to add any unnecessary weight to my car, so I may just leave it or paint it...

grrr.... that's one of the reason why I am not keen on doing it but since it already has carpets, interior trim I might as well ... or not ......

ch1ll1 - 13/2/07 at 01:12 PM

thats what i did there a pic in my archive .carrear . but i added more screw later

DarrenW - 13/2/07 at 01:23 PM

I would have thought the options are;

1. Bond the vinyl direct to ali panel - would be concerned about making it neat maybe,
2. Make a trim panel from thin ply and cover this (can make it waterproof by using wood preserver),
3. Use embassoed black plastic sheet panel and secure this to the ali back panel.

I left mine bare ali, looks fine to me but i know what you mean ref the look if everything else is trimmed up.

John Bonnett - 13/2/07 at 01:25 PM

Just had a thought about invisible fixings for your panel. You could use Hidem Banding which I hope would do the trick. You can get it from Woolies and their catalogue page is: http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1006-hidem-banding.aspx

John

worX - 13/2/07 at 01:35 PM

I have to admit that I have just placed an order for one of these with Chris:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=60079
wich I will use for going to shows/events/nurburgring later on this year, when it matters for luggage storage and then won't be able to see the back panel.

But since I fully plan on getting the car as light as possible I just can't do it permanently!!!

I already have next years project (even though car isn't yet complete!) and that''s to make it lighter, starting with trimming all suspension bolts down!!!

Wadders - 13/2/07 at 06:31 PM

I carpeted mine with thin black carpet, weighs bugger all, stuck it directly on using spray adhesive.
Al

DIY Si - 13/2/07 at 06:36 PM

Could you add a frame of ally to the vinyl and slot the bottom in some how? Or hide the edge under the tunnel top?

02GF74 - 14/2/07 at 07:21 AM

... been thinking about this a bit more .... and thinking of making an ali frame then velcoing down the edges,as was done on the transmission tunnel top; the rest would be glued down to sop it flappin.

zetec - 14/2/07 at 10:57 AM

Just did mine in perforated vinyl, glued on then a few self tappers to hold it in.

[Edited on 14/2/07 by zetec] Rescued attachment interior1.JPG
Rescued attachment interior1.JPG