Board logo

Pics of transmission tunnel tops
flak monkey - 14/2/07 at 08:32 PM

Anyone got some pics of their trans tunnel tops fitted, in preferably SVA'd cars? One of the major jobs i have left to do. I assume the top edges need to be folded back on itself? Or at least bent at 90 deg down the side of the tunnel to avoid a sharp edge? Or i could just fit some edge trim to the edge before i bolt it down?

Likewise how have people have attached their tunnel tops? I would like it removable so thinking of using self tappers... Dome heads ok for SVA?

Cheers,
David

jamesbond007ltk - 14/2/07 at 08:41 PM

Hi David,

The top of my tranmission tunnel consists of two sheets of 16swg mild steel. One for the section over the gearbox, from bulkhead to gearstick and one straight section from gearstick backwards. Mine do not go down the sides of the tranny tunnel at all.

I used two layers of thin foam padding (actually hobby foam for kids to make shapes out of!) and then covered the whole thing in leather-look vinyl.

As far as fixing down is concerned i used riv-nuts and dome headed bolts (set screws). These go thorugh eyelets in the vinyl and then through the mild steel. They become effectively countersunk as they compress the foam padding upon tightening.

HTH

Rich

Bob C - 14/2/07 at 08:57 PM

Vinyl covered 8mm marine ply, edge routed 1/4 round, screwed to frame with c/sunk stainless M4s
Bob Rescued attachment svainterior.jpg
Rescued attachment svainterior.jpg

Humbug - 14/2/07 at 09:15 PM

My tunnel top is 2 pieces of ali: 1 straight bit back from just behind gear lever, and 1 front bit. They are bent over the side (90 degrees) and covered with foam and vinyl.

The rear piece is fixed with 2 self tappers at the very rear on the folded-down sides behind the seats. The front of the rear piece tucks under the rear of the front piece (if that makes sense) and the front piece is held down by the self tappers through the gear lever trim ring.

Got me through SVA no probs

A cobbled-together pic here: Rescued attachment tunnel top pieces.JPG
Rescued attachment tunnel top pieces.JPG

Mark Allanson - 14/2/07 at 09:20 PM

a variation on a theme Rescued attachment Tranny Top.jpg
Rescued attachment Tranny Top.jpg

Pdlewis - 14/2/07 at 09:32 PM

Bob,

Whats the unit you are using for speedo/revs? looks interesting

PaulBuz - 14/2/07 at 09:36 PM

Just used some ally with an extrusion to cover the edges Rescued attachment interior.jpg
Rescued attachment interior.jpg

redeye - 14/2/07 at 10:43 PM

covered mine with carpet....trimmed with chrome tile trim from B&Q....thought it might look tacky at first but came out better than expected

[img][/img]

tegwin - 14/2/07 at 10:56 PM

What did you use to carpet that? Looks nice as!!!

What happens when it rains?

tegwin - 14/2/07 at 11:01 PM

What did you use to carpet that? Looks nice as!!!

What happens when it rains?

redeye - 14/2/07 at 11:10 PM

cheers

the carpet is from woolies trim

linky

cant remember off hand exactly which type but its rot proof

and if it does rain...drive faster

jamesbond007ltk - 14/2/07 at 11:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by redeye

and if it does rain...drive faster

Thats always my excuse! Havent yet had the chance to try it out on her maj's constabulary. But i am sure they would understand! No?

zetec - 14/2/07 at 11:39 PM

MDF...top, ali sides. Screws holding handbrake and gear lever surrounds also hold the top panels. Rescued attachment DSCF0048.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0048.JPG

nre - 15/2/07 at 08:46 AM

Here's mine:

Aluminium top and sides, rear half of top covered with vinyl over a very thin layer of foam (the stuff you put under laminate flooring!). Secured with M4 button heads locating into rivnuts in top chassis rail... and wing piping running along the join between side and top to give an SVA friendly radius!

Neil

RazMan - 15/2/07 at 11:17 AM

I used some anodised alloy step edging from B&Q Rescued attachment Dash1.jpg
Rescued attachment Dash1.jpg

flak monkey - 15/2/07 at 06:48 PM

Thanks for all the input gents

Looks like I will fold the edges over and then decide whether to cover it depending on how much of a mess i make of it!

Cheers,
David

Peteff - 15/2/07 at 06:51 PM

No pictures handy but I have a flat vinyl covered top with edging trim round it. I put self tappers in it but if I did it now I might try some industrial strength velcro on it.

desyboy - 24/2/07 at 07:40 PM

vac formed abs
interior
interior