Board logo

steering wheel to dash distance?
02GF74 - 26/3/07 at 10:17 AM

can a few people meaure the distance of the steering wheel to the dash board?

also how straight/bent are you arms when holding the steeering wheel?

(reason for asking is I have a boss that can move the steering wheel further away and away from my leg but leaves my arms almost straight).

bimbleuk - 26/3/07 at 10:23 AM

The guide advice I've heard a few times is to straighten your arms and adjust so your wrists touch the steering wheel at the 10 and 2 positions approx.

02GF74 - 26/3/07 at 10:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bimbleuk
The guide advice I've heard a few times is to straighten your arms and adjust so your wrists touch the steering wheel at the 10 and 2 positions approx.

interesting .... is that for racing purposes cause it certainly is not the case in all the rtin tops I have ever driven.

Mr Whippy - 26/3/07 at 10:35 AM

down to personal preference, but too far away tends be tiring.

BenB - 26/3/07 at 10:37 AM

I think it's a personal thing. I personally like quite a straight-arm driving position, but I know people who like the steering wheel really close- if you look at the World Rally drivers there is quite a difference (with many go for the really close option)...
I think the wrists option sounds v good though !!

Mr Whippy - 26/3/07 at 11:31 AM

yeah I know a few guys who do the rallying and they all prefer the wheel really close as its apparently easier to turn the wheel quicky

pewe - 26/3/07 at 11:32 AM

Bimbleuk is correct you need a crook in your arm (elbows slightly bent) as this means you are able to use your biceps. Straight arms = low leverage not a good idea if you aren't running power steering c/w a small diam. steering wheel. That's why WRC and old fashioned racing drivers seem to be hunched over the wheel as the biceps are much stronger than any other muscle in your arms - otherwise as a cyclist you could try using your thigh muscles for extra purchase!!!!
Cheers, Pewe.

Confused but excited. - 26/3/07 at 03:07 PM

"otherwise as a cyclist you could try using your thigh muscles for extra purchase!!!!

Hmmm now let me see. Thigh straps, cycle chain, sprocket on the steering wheel.....By George I think he's got it!

C10CoryM - 26/3/07 at 03:53 PM

I prefer the wheel very close to me for autoX. The problem is you need a fairly tight ratio box otherwise you end up running out of elbow room when things get busy. Smashing your elbow on a steel tube in the middle of a run is..... distracting.

Just find the median point where you are comfortable with the wheel when just driving, and when flailing around trying to control the car
Cheers.

PS: Id like to see the guy who designed the car Im driving now. Must look like an orangutan because the leg room is very short, and the wheel/shifter are a stretch even for me.