Board logo

dashboard clocks
mkblade - 3/4/07 at 11:07 PM

im giving my interior a revamp bought a carbon look mac1 dash cant.i notice that a few guys on here have used the fireblade clocks see attched pic how do you measure out the holes spaces ect to fit these clocks .

my other choice was maybe the acewell clocks not to expensive are these any good ??
thanks simon

zxrlocost - 3/4/07 at 11:17 PM

simon i presume the clocks come apart in the middle.

get the front half of the clocks in place on the front of the dash and pencil around it then jigsaw out the shape but say move in 1mm from your pencil line?

worX - 3/4/07 at 11:19 PM

obviously there is the "measure twice cut once" theory that I am sure pretty much everyone on here adheres to in some form or other. but apart from that I did it this way:

1. make paper template (tape a piece of paper over it and shade with soft pencil [like bark/gravestone rubbings in infant school])

2. transfer that to a piece of aluminium (can use card if you like but there are obvious advantages to the Ali) and use it to mark out the centres - you can easily work out the centre of a circle using a compass, I'm sure you know how.

3. (assuming you can get a holesaw of suitable size-)JUST drill the centres of the dials in the ALI. (marking the whole circle to ensure accuracy with just the tips of the holesaw.

4.Then transfer those locations to the Dash.

5. Drill the dash to suit...

easy as!

I have to admit that I spent quite a while filing my warning clocks to shape, but thats before i bought a dremel - I reckon I could have done it just have accurately in a fraction of the time with it!

hth
Steve

worX - 3/4/07 at 11:29 PM

Simon I have just checked your archive and found a pic of your existing dash fitted with the same clocks!

Just use that as a template!

hth
Steve

Image deleted by owner

[Edited on 3/4/07 by worX]

mkblade - 3/4/07 at 11:41 PM

yes i know i fitted them before it was a pain in the backside and wasnt happy with the fitting so reoding the interior with carbon look abs sheet

worX - 3/4/07 at 11:48 PM

I think the way you have fitted them (apart form the mounting screws) is absolutely spot on - prob closer than mine!

I didn't use any mounting on mine because I made yet another template in ply board and shaved layers off it until I had the clocks poking through as little as possible, then used Wurth Bonding stuff to bond the Ply to the clocks and (benefiting with the additional surface area I added) then bonded the ply to the dash...

hth
Steve.

mike smith1 - 4/4/07 at 08:37 AM

Simon, do you have access to auto cad? I have a template which I was kindly given by a fellow LB member. If not I will try and plot it to a pdf to the life size scale 1:1 and email it to you. All we did was print it on some sticky back a4 (blue peter style or what!) and then drilled through with a hole saw.

Mike

mike smith1 - 4/4/07 at 01:08 PM

PDF Copy of Fireblade clocks drawing in autocad, the clocks are at the scale of 1:1

Mike

mkblade - 5/4/07 at 10:58 PM

thanks guys for the advise and pic