Board logo

Dash board and removing glue
ditchlewis - 18/4/07 at 07:20 AM

Hi

I had built a dash board for the indy and covered it in vinyl. it was then pointed out that i needed a 19mm radius or padding.

My early solution was to use a two part araldite glue to stick the close cell type of pipe insulation onto the bottom of the dash board.

it was pointed out that this would not be good enough for Mr SVA. I have come up with another solution, and i have removed the padding.

my question is is there any way to remove the glue residue with out destroying the vinyl covering

I may at a later date replace the dash with one from MK but i have other things on the list ahead of that and i would like to improve the look if i can.

regards

Ditch

[Edited on 18/4/07 by ditchlewis]

ayoungman - 18/4/07 at 07:56 AM

Araldite can usually be chipped off. I'm not aware of a solvent that will remove araldite once its cured. Sorry, I can't help further, I'm sure someone else might have some ideas

RazMan - 18/4/07 at 07:58 AM

Epoxy glue is just about impossible to remove from any surface without damaging it - I reckon you will have to start agian with new materials.

ditchlewis - 18/4/07 at 08:46 AM

Ooh Bu**er

i think i will leave it for a while and just put the radius on it, and then recover after the SVA..

at least if it fails on the dash board i will not have wasted time and money.

many thanks

Ditch

twybrow - 18/4/07 at 09:26 AM

You need a solvent called methyl ethyl ketone (MEK). That should dissolve the epoxy. Unfortunately, it will probably also disolve your vinyl.

Mr Whippy - 18/4/07 at 09:39 AM

Just cut the pipe lagging down the middle so it's like D shaped then cover that in vinyl and glue it to the bottom of the dash. Then chuck it in the bucket once passed.

ditchlewis - 18/4/07 at 12:09 PM

is the pipe insulation good enough for the SVA ?

i thought that it was not even though you cannot compress it enough to feel the ply wood. if it is then i may just stick it back on.

Ditch

David Jenkins - 18/4/07 at 12:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ditchlewis
is the pipe insulation good enough for the SVA ?

As Mr Whippy says, cover it in vinyl so that it looks 'intended', rather than leaving the insulation foam exposed, which looks like a temporary bodge.

You should be OK as long as he can't feel the wood underneath - my tester pressed quite firmly, so make sure you do the same before the test!

jabbahutt - 18/4/07 at 01:52 PM

sorry to hijack but if you use pipe lagging to get round this issue does it still need to be 19mm radius or can it be smaller as long as the wood can't be felt through it?

Thanks

ditchlewis - 18/4/07 at 02:39 PM

good news

the close cell stuff i got from b&q was alreads split, when pushed you could not oush your fingers together. when on the dash i could not feel the edges.

so as i have some of the vinyl left i will cover some of the lagging and stick it back on a lot less work than my other plan. and it will cover up the mess i have already made.

jabba i dont have a 19mm radius thats why i'm using the lagging

Ditch