Board logo

New Seats
pjavon - 22/4/07 at 10:29 AM

Just fitted some new seats in my tiger, and a new removable steering wheel boss to make it a lot easier to get in and out. Thoughts on the dot's &strips please as i can't make up my mind if they look o.k. or not, but please remember i'm a sensitive sort of bloke

tul214 - 22/4/07 at 10:34 AM

They look good imho, what have you done with your intatrims?

Edited...i think i was too late when i asked you last time

[Edited on 22/4/07 by tul214]

JoelP - 22/4/07 at 10:34 AM

is that mount behind your head safe? I could imagine it piercing the seat if you got rearended fast

pathfinder - 22/4/07 at 10:38 AM

Like the seats and the steering wheel, but dump the dots!

Same thoughts as joel, that rear mount looks lethal.

pjavon - 22/4/07 at 10:41 AM

Sold the intatrims on here, which funded these, i did spend a lot of time thinking about some threaded bar sticking in the back of my neck but more along the lines of if i rolled or something, didn't really think of being rear ended you've got me worried again now.
I done it like that because they needed support at the top and most track cars have similar type brackets Mmmm might give it a rethink

zxrlocost - 22/4/07 at 10:49 AM

who told you they needed support at the top mate

I think youll find theyll be fine without

omega0684 - 22/4/07 at 10:58 AM

the seat certainly look the business!!! can i ask where you got the tunnel upholstry done?

Alex

Humbug - 22/4/07 at 11:14 AM

The seats look good but IMVHO the dots and dashes are naff. If you need some padding, how about just a single shaped pad on the headrest part?

Also, I agree with the others that the metal support post thingy looks dangerous - I would rather have a slightly more flexible seat than risk that skewering my neck in an accident.

bimbleuk - 22/4/07 at 11:37 AM

I use a similar seat on the driver side for track days. Not attached to the car at all just sits on a frame. The belts are more than able to keep me and the seat securely fixed on track.

worX - 22/4/07 at 12:48 PM

as above...
dots/stips each to his own, but wouldn't be on my car!

but Get Rid Of That Spit Roasting Device that you are waiting to be impaled on !

Steve.

grusks2 - 22/4/07 at 01:45 PM

Ive got the same seats in my cat, i was thinking of some kind of fixing at the top, as my seat flex slightly at the top.

But my roll bar is further away from the seats in a Cat than an Avon

On my race car i had the same thought of thing but it had a 10cm bracket on the end of the tube going across ways with 2 bolts less likely to stab you in the head.

Benzine - 22/4/07 at 02:27 PM

I quite like the dots, I'd change the seat belts to black though ^__^

zetec7 - 22/4/07 at 02:44 PM

Concur - leave the dots & dashes to Morse code types, and remove the lance - reminds me of the school days & pithing frogs in science class

pjavon - 22/4/07 at 03:16 PM

Thanks for the 'nice' comments people
I know what you mean about the Spit roast bar, at first glance it does look dangerous( and i must admit you lot have got me worried) but for that to move forward the whole back end of the car, which would include the seat belt mounting points would move aswell, so my original thoughts were i'd be in that much trouble by then they would cure any further discomfort before seeing St Peter at the purley gates.
But the fact that you lot have got me thinking about it again must mean i should take them out, i think???

stevebubs - 22/4/07 at 04:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pjavon
Thanks for the 'nice' comments people
I know what you mean about the Spit roast bar, at first glance it does look dangerous( and i must admit you lot have got me worried) but for that to move forward the whole back end of the car, which would include the seat belt mounting points would move aswell, so my original thoughts were i'd be in that much trouble by then they would cure any further discomfort before seeing St Peter at the purley gates.
But the fact that you lot have got me thinking about it again must mean i should take them out, i think???

I'd be more worried that the seat would crack and the bar come through that way.

If the seat needs strengthening then I would either add extra layers of fibreglass perhaps with some metal supporting strips.

gottabedone - 23/4/07 at 08:35 AM

In a crash, your body mass will move forward and then rearward into and with the seat( it will flex ). With your spit roast thingy there pushing at neck level on maybe a 1" or 2" mounting, it may take less of an accident than you think from any direction to get speared.

Nice seats though - do they flex enough to worry about?

regards

Steve

iank - 23/4/07 at 08:48 AM

If you want to keep the neck spike (TM) at least increase the surface area of the seat mounting plate significantly. The bigger it is the less chance of punching through the grp.

pjavon - 23/4/07 at 05:20 PM

Exellent point gottabedone, any videos you see on t.v. with crash test dummys they always shoot back into the seat, thanks for the fair point. Think i'll remove them but i would prefer some sort of top mounting as they do flex, but i don't know what yet as i got that idea from karting seat i seen at the autosport show, although as said it did have a bigger plate, but i think more thought may be needed

stuart_g - 23/4/07 at 08:50 PM

going a little bit off topic here, the top harness mounts, is the chassis tube threaded or do the bolts just pass straight through?

pjavon - 24/4/07 at 07:05 PM

I drilled out a bit of 20mm round bar and welded it through the CHS cross member. It sticks through about 5mm top and bottom so the bolts sit square.