Board logo

alternative handbrake lever positions
scotty g - 13/5/07 at 08:36 AM

Hi all, i have decided that i dont want the handbrake lever in the usual place so i'm looking at other options. what have you lot done, pics would be good too.
Cheers.

wilkingj - 13/5/07 at 08:41 AM

Mine is std.

How about:

central to tunnel (std)
Either side of the tunnel.
or
horizontal under the steering column - Need to check space and sharp edges for SVA etc.

Or.. search the scrapyards for an old style Pull out of the dashboard "T" handle job, aka Austin A55 style job.

[Edited on 13/5/2007 by wilkingj]

speedyxjs - 13/5/07 at 08:44 AM

Two different ideas from jaguar

Or and electronic handbrake behind gearstick

scotty g - 13/5/07 at 08:55 AM

I can't even see the lever in the second picture!
I'm not too keen on the under-steering wheel set up, i've experienced this on a couple of Dax Rushes and its not very comfortable although i do have a lot more room than a rush as i'm building a +4.
I quite like the Fury one on the side of the tunnel, anyone know what lever they use?

rusty nuts - 13/5/07 at 09:23 AM

Sure this has been covered before, might be worth doing a search?

RazMan - 13/5/07 at 09:32 AM

My old Pontiac had a foot operated parking brake which was on the outside of the accellerator pedal - querky but effective.
Personally I fancy an electric version, actuated by a simple 3 way toggle switch powering a linear actuator.

Avoneer - 13/5/07 at 10:01 AM

Vertical in front of the dash:

http://bitsablade.co.uk/displayimage.php?pid=19&fullsize=1

Pat...

NeilP - 13/5/07 at 11:24 AM

Fury one is standard Sierra IIRC - They have some sort of coupling at the bottom of it that runs a cable back to the standard yoke...

pathfinder - 13/5/07 at 02:38 PM

This is what I came up with Rescued attachment lever.jpg
Rescued attachment lever.jpg

scotty g - 13/5/07 at 03:01 PM

Ooooooooh.
Thats a bit posh, i like it a lot.
I'm thinking a bit more budget though!

JonBowden - 13/5/07 at 04:08 PM

Caterhams and lotus's used to have them under the passenger glovebox. I guess the idea is that you don't really need it

ross - 17/5/07 at 01:17 PM

Hi,
I'm using a modified Fiesta h/brake lever fitted between the driver's seat and the tunnel. Got it working on sunday, still needs a bit of tweaking. It's connected to the standard Sierra cable by a bell crank. I modified the handle to make it look more like a 60's style.

ayoungman - 21/5/07 at 09:42 AM

I've modified my sierra handbrake so that it is almost flush with the tunnel top. I've also extended the lever so that on 3 clicks it doesn't point at the sky
i'll post a pic if there isn't an archive one.

[Edited on 21/5/07 by ayoungman]

cm - 26/5/07 at 03:05 PM

Looks good, nice use of the CAD design

novacaine - 30/5/07 at 11:06 PM

this is what you want, idea courtesy of the ferrari F355

Ok so its a model car, you get the idea though

iank - 1/6/07 at 07:23 AM

Think you'll be struggling to put it there in a 7.
What are you planning to build/rebuild/restore these days BTW?

novacaine - 5/6/07 at 10:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by iank

is that one for me?

well im very near perswading my parents, given them a month or two off from the perswading efforts and im back on now, i think they have nearly come to terms with me building one, they know im serious and now im good friends with a qualified welder, im a qualified mechanic and ive got more money behind me they have very little in the way of reasonable ways of stopping me.

iank - 5/6/07 at 10:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by novacaine
quote:
Originally posted by iank

is that one for me?

well im very near perswading my parents, given them a month or two off from the perswading efforts and im back on now, i think they have nearly come to terms with me building one, they know im serious and now im good friends with a qualified welder, im a qualified mechanic and ive got more money behind me they have very little in the way of reasonable ways of stopping me.

Yes it was for you
Sounds good, always tricky keeping parents sweet while doing something that worries them.