Board logo

clear resin
dave r - 28/5/07 at 01:43 PM

can you get clear resin ?
want to be able to see something through some, and the stuff i have is drying yellowish

any suggestions ?
the layer will only be 1mm or so
dave

matty_64 - 28/5/07 at 01:47 PM

try clear casting resin.cfs should stock it

tegwin - 28/5/07 at 03:22 PM

Yeah....CFS do a couple of clear casting resins designed for pouring over dead animals etc to preserve them lol

zetec - 28/5/07 at 04:00 PM

Good model shops do 2 part epoxy resin for covering models. Cures clear and can be sanded and polished when hard, easy to use and ideal for small fibreglassing jobs, some shops even stock a few different weight matting.

balidey - 28/5/07 at 07:15 PM

Yep, as above. Polyester resin (the more commonly used for GRP) cures to a greenish colour. Epoxy cures almost clear. Be warned though, its not nice stuff, so wear gloves and ventilate the room. Can be more brittle than polyester by itself.

scotty g - 29/5/07 at 06:29 PM

if you're making something with matt you will need a special fibreglass that also drys clear otherwise the money spent on posh resin will be wasted.
even with clear drying resin and matt i have found success to be somewhat limited in the past.
The best thing i have found for using clear setting resin is to pour some into a small plastic drinks bottle, chuck in a dead wasp then pour more resin over it until its covered then leave to set. Once set, cut the bottle away, shape the resin block and pollish until shiney and voila, home made amber with a bug in it!
cheers.