Board logo

Steering column and wheel position help please
DarrenW - 20/7/07 at 01:03 PM

For SVA i had to fit aftermarket wheel onto a collapsible boss (the type with 4 steel bars that collapse in a crash). After then fitting snap off kit the steering wheel was too close for my liking. Iam now looking at options.

I will probs fit wilwood boss and new wheel at some point but will wait until ive got carbs on. So for now looking at options.

So:
Q1 - What is the distance from the end of your column (where nut goes in) to the dash face? Mine is 145mm.
Q2 - what is distance from steering wheel face to dash face (and do you have normal type boss or QR with welded on boss adaptor?).

My steering wheel is approx 235mm from dash face. Column is adjustable and in as far as it will go. Other option i have is to take off the collapsible bit and either redrill boss plate and attach the snap off (this will leave wheel about 175mm from dash) or forget about the snap off and mount wheel directly to the boss (= approx 145mm).
Im just trying to get my head around if its OK to drill and tap the boss with 6 off M6's or not. Shold be fine as collapsable bit is only held on with 4 screws, and wilwoods only use 3 (QH pattern).

Thanks in advance,
Darren.

[Edited on 20/7/07 by DarrenW]

worX - 20/7/07 at 01:23 PM

Just measured mine from dash face to Front of steering wheel face and it was 145mm.

I think it's a bit subjective though Darren, as to where your preference for position falls!

Oh and I have the Wilwood setup as per mac1...

cheers,
Steve

[Edited on 20/7/07 by worX]

DarrenW - 20/7/07 at 01:30 PM

Thanks Steve.

I know its subjective and will probs prompt a discussion about what the optimum is. All i know is that im trying to get mine to around 150mm.

I can recall sitting in other peoples cars where the steering wheel must be less than the 145mm that my column sticks out by! Not sure how they achieve that with a Sierra column. Maybe the adjustable column is longer even in shortest position (or mine isnt really right in and bracket is stopping it???)

Avoneer - 20/7/07 at 01:39 PM

You can slide the triangular section in by whacking it with a hammer if that helps.

Pat...

worX - 20/7/07 at 02:01 PM

I was just having a think about it Darren, whilst munching through my BBQ flavoured Hula Hoops! and I remember that when I was positioning my wheel, the only thing that was a concern of mine was the position of it in relation to my gear lever!

Obviously you are using a different gear lever orientation than me so the position will be quite different...

But, I think this is the most important aspect when determining position (obviously as long as you can get in and out, and that you can actually reach it!!!)

cheers,
Steve

DarrenW - 20/7/07 at 02:12 PM

The triangular collapsible section is already right in (being an adjustable column this si quite easy to adjust).

If i get the wheel to approx 170mm it i smore than easily reachable. If i could get the column further in then id try and get it more like 120mm (i dont have long arms BTW - just short legs!!).

im sure when ive drove the white demo car the wheel was very close to the dash. Just not sure how this was achieved. i reckon the wilwood boss will get it closer as the wheel fits behind the front end of the shaft. However im limited by the position of the upper steering tube and cast bearing holder.

DarrenW - 20/7/07 at 02:16 PM

I see youve editted your dimension Steve - that makes more sense. it tells me that your upper steering column is more or less in the same position as mine but since you have the wilwood you have been able to get the wheel at the same distance as the end of the original shaft. As im using a boss and snap off i gain a further 30mm or so.

Im tempted to do away with the snap off and sell it on. I rarely take the wheel off anyway.

worX - 20/7/07 at 02:26 PM

Ha, was just U2U'ing you re the edit - but you went offline!

Yes, I was thinking about it, and went back out with the tape to check!

I take my wheel off quite often. but my car lives outside on the front - I don't have a choice about that!

I think that white demo car had a different QR boss, but I could be wrong (and prob am!) but if you can find a column from somewhere and then just get the wilwood boss welded to it, you are right in what you said, it will/should be a substantial amount closer!

Steve

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
I see youve editted your dimension Steve - that makes more sense. it tells me that your upper steering column is more or less in the same position as mine but since you have the wilwood you have been able to get the wheel at the same distance as the end of the original shaft. As im using a boss and snap off i gain a further 30mm or so.

Im tempted to do away with the snap off and sell it on. I rarely take the wheel off anyway.

DarrenW - 20/7/07 at 09:05 PM

Ive modded it tonight. Took the collapsible bit off the boss. Sat wheel on to mark out new holes and drilled / tapped it to suit. Wheel now sits just under 150mm from dash, feels much better. (Arms not as bent, elbows dont stick out and wont catch as much water spray which in turn should keep crotch drier!!!!!)

If i can get hold of some longer M6 c'sunk cap heads i may fit the snap off kit for now - removable is useful at times (if only to mae it a pain to turn wheel if someone fancied pushing it away).

Eventually im after a wilwood boss and 300mm suede wheel. Rally design seem to have some amazing prices on wilwoods. Unfortunately i cant find a good deal on a wheel.