Board logo

Ceramic Demister
Michael - 20/7/07 at 07:42 PM

Who has used a ceramic heater for demisting their screen for SVA??

I have looked at Ebay to no avail. (well not one i want)

adithorp - 20/7/07 at 08:49 PM

I've got a couple that I'm going to use. Picked them up at a caravan centre.£12.99 each.

Adrian

BenB - 20/7/07 at 09:11 PM

Just remeber they'll probably do for SVA but if you fit a roof etc it probably won't be enough.... If you work out the kW put out by the average engine in terms of heat, you'll never make anything near that by heating up bits of wire fed by an alternator (it's a bit like the electric superchargers really, there's no way they can make the differences claimed).....

If you look at cabin heaters for articulated lorries, however, it's a different story... They, however, tend to use 10* the current of the camping heaters and cost about 10* as much as well.... (and they're bloody heavy!!!).....

IE for a temporary fit for SVA purposes, the ceramics are fine.... For post SVA purposes you'll probably need something with a bit more welly....

graememk - 20/7/07 at 10:37 PM

i have 2x of these i'll sell you very cheap

http://www.nfauto.co.uk/images/demist1.jpg

£18 each on lolocost and £22 each on carbuilders solutions

yours for £35 delivered

Michael - 26/7/07 at 08:48 PM

I spoke to a supplier on Wednesday who was advising exactly what BenB wrote, and said that it has to be fitted as if it was a vent against the scuttle as it does not give out alot of heat.

So gone is the idea of fitting remotely and piping off the heat to the windscreen.

Any other ideas what to use without the full heater blower etc.