Board logo

Bike Helmet
hoots_min - 21/7/07 at 06:42 PM

Just trying to decide what to go for helmet wise. Would like to get a helmet for the odd days when it is too cold and for hillclimbs/sprints. I wear glasses and was considering a flip top but these tend to carry a premium. Does anyone have a fliptop and would they recommend it? Alternatively, what is the best choice of normal helmet - price versus comfort and safety?

Thanks

hoots_min - 21/7/07 at 06:54 PM

To be honest, thought never even crossed my mind! Any suggestions on whats best to go for?

THE BEAR - 21/7/07 at 07:15 PM

IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A HELMET THEN ARAI IS THE WAY TO GO

THE BEAR - 21/7/07 at 07:17 PM

CAN ANY ONE TELL ME HOW TO GET PIC ON PROFILE

Hellfire - 21/7/07 at 07:32 PM

This subject usually opens a can of worms. Helmets IMO are no different to other items on the market such as clothing etc, where the label can usually dictate the price.

However, an ill fitting £500 helmet is worse than a £50 helmet that fits you correctly.

My advice would be to try lots of different ones and find the one that fits you perfectly, regardless of cost, style or colour.

Phil

cidersurfer - 21/7/07 at 08:56 PM

quote:
and for hillclimbs/sprints.

Don't forget that lots of bike lids do not meet the correct specs for the MSA blue book

iank - 21/7/07 at 09:59 PM

Oh dear can'o'worms time again, some have very fixed views, but IMO it depends on what you want it for

1. To keep the flys and gravel out of your eyes all you need is something to keep the visor in the right place and a lining to keep your ears warm. So fit and cost are probably the key points.

2. If you ever think it's going to be used to save your life then get a car helmet for a car and a bike helmet for a bike (they have different design goals and tests to pass). Key then are fit and quality. If you want to compete it needs the right labels on the back.

Since you want it for pucka motorsport think decent car helmet. As said ^^^ name is no guarantee of being better and get it fitted somewhere reputable.

Peteff - 21/7/07 at 10:29 PM

Yes, and where the caps lock key is

worX - 22/7/07 at 05:06 AM

I think Shoei do a flip front for circa £100.

I believe it's very good.

Steve

jack trolley - 22/7/07 at 04:04 PM

Yet again ...

Helmets test

hoots_min - 22/7/07 at 07:10 PM

Thanks guys, food for thought. I'm kinda torn though as I have a full roll cage but then again would like to protect the old bonce at all costs! Think I will go for the try on loads of helmets approach and see what happens.

Cheers.