Board logo

sealing fuel sender to tank?
2b_pablo - 6/8/07 at 02:14 PM

can anyone recommend a sealant to stop my sender unit leaking? on heavy right hand corners it leaks fuel out, not good!

I tried using hermerite red sealant but it just crumbled up after a while.

any help appreciated its driving me crazy.

Bluemoon - 6/8/07 at 02:27 PM

Make a cork gasket?

Dan

twybrow - 6/8/07 at 02:29 PM

I have used a cork gasket in combination with the original o-ring seal.

2b_pablo - 6/8/07 at 02:30 PM

is there a sealant based solution? Not sure Id trust a cork one it doesnt sit too well to the tank

BenB - 6/8/07 at 02:34 PM

I used Sikaflex. No leakage so far though I don't think it's officially petrolproof....

RazMan - 6/8/07 at 02:46 PM

Yep, any PU adhesive is petrol proof afaik - its what I used for my sender.

mookaloid - 6/8/07 at 02:50 PM

I used a tiny smear of silicone instant gasket thinking that there is no way that such a tiny amount could possibly cause any problems..........

on contact with petrol it expands to about 25 times its original size and promptly clogs up your petrol pipes, fuel pump filters etc. etc.

so don't even think about using that

BenB - 6/8/07 at 03:01 PM

Actually, the self-sealing petrol tanks on WW2 planes were quite clever. Outer bit was made from non-vulcanised rubber which would swell if any petrol leaked (ie if the tank had a bullet hole in it) closing off the leak....

Didn't work when the said bullet was flaming tracer or a 20mm cannon shell but hey...

robertst - 6/8/07 at 04:10 PM

sikaflex is only temporarily resistant to oil and petrol. it says it in the product info.. it will resist petrol but not for too long. i think it hardens and then flakes off with it. i think the cork idea might be the best

02GF74 - 6/8/07 at 04:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 2b_pablo

I tried using hermerite red sealant but it just crumbled up after a while.

that's styrage; that is what I have used and as far as I knoiw, still sealing after 11 months. it is it petrol resistant.

you can buy a softish palsticky gasket material by the sheet in various thicknesses.

jimgiblett - 6/8/07 at 04:26 PM

ETB supply a petrol resistant rubber gasket for their senders. Much better than cork or sealant IMHO. I take it that the sender unit is fitted at the top of the tank and thus wont be immersed in petrol anyhow.

- Jim

[Edited on 6/8/07 by jimgiblett]

scoop - 6/8/07 at 05:32 PM

Get a bit of neoprine (wet suit material) mate. Resistant to most things and makes a great gasket

bobster - 7/8/07 at 02:21 PM

my first sender i used cork. however this disintegrated over a few years. i found this out when i couldn't work out what was blocking my low pressure filter!! Second time round i made a paper gasket and used hylomar universal blue (sold under license from rolls royce). this is a non setting sealant and is resistant to all fuels. nice and easy. (relatively cheap from demon tweeks)

Maradona - 9/8/07 at 12:43 PM

need to use a petrol resistant sealer, here in argentina we use fastix, is like a sikaflex but resist petrol. But if u can use a hose with aero quit conectors, it will be seen very very nice. the problem is the cost of aero cuit conectors,

cheers
Maradonna

[Edited on 9/8/07 by Maradona]