Board logo

Finished: seat
robertst - 7/8/07 at 07:15 PM

a days work... complete with runners awaiting harnesses to make the holes and me learning to upholster.

waddayathink? Rescued attachment seatframe.jpg
Rescued attachment seatframe.jpg

robertst - 7/8/07 at 07:16 PM

another one fitted in car Rescued attachment seatincar.jpg
Rescued attachment seatincar.jpg

omega 24 v6 - 7/8/07 at 07:59 PM

nice bit of work it will be good to see the finished item. Where did you source the runners from??

designer - 7/8/07 at 08:56 PM

Are they made from the Rorty plans?

RichardK - 7/8/07 at 09:04 PM

Look like the Mini Metro runners I have.

Rich

robertst - 8/8/07 at 03:52 AM

quote:

Where did you source the runners from??

from one of these micro-cars... the 50cc ones.. very compact design

quote:

Are they made from the Rorty plans?

no i got the initial design from chris gibbs' book and modified it to suit something like cobra seats.. less side supports... although figuring out the design was a PITA

edit: i had to extend the runner lever to suit the seat.. pretty easy job..
cheers

[Edited on 8/8/07 by robertst]

BenB - 8/8/07 at 08:20 AM

Very nice though I'd be very very very strongly tempted to put some U shape edging metal or rubber on the bare edges. Even though you're covering it, the thought of that bare sheet metal under a few mm of upholstery is not that appealing.
My bro found out the hard way that, in the event of a crash, having sharp edges on seats, drive tunnels etc (ie anything within flailing distance) is not a good idea....

but you might be planning to add some edging anyway!!

Nice work BTW!!!

C10CoryM - 8/8/07 at 02:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Very nice though I'd be very very very strongly tempted to put some U shape edging metal or rubber on the bare edges. Even though you're covering it, the thought of that bare sheet metal under a few mm of upholstery is not that appealing.
My bro found out the hard way that, in the event of a crash, having sharp edges on seats, drive tunnels etc (ie anything within flailing distance) is not a good idea....

but you might be planning to add some edging anyway!!

Nice work BTW!!!

What he said. Seat edges like that can take body parts off in a crash. Take some snmall round stock an weld it to the edges is probably the easiest. Probably make the upholstery look nicer as well.
Cheers.

Rudy - 8/8/07 at 02:42 PM

Looks nice and I agree with I think Benb.

robertst - 8/8/07 at 07:57 PM

yep i was going to round the edges. they're quite frightening.

quote:

Take some snmall round stock an weld it to the edges is probably the easiest. Probably make the upholstery look nicer as well.

good idea!
cheers