Board logo

Radius Edges
mistergrumpy - 23/9/07 at 11:26 PM

If I'm rolling an edge like on the bottom of the dash how far round do I have to roll it? Is a 'J' style okay or does it have to look like a 'U' if you get me.

scoop - 24/9/07 at 08:14 AM

Most of the grp and carbon ones you buy roll them all the way up to what you would call the u shape. The manual says 19mm radius so....

mistergrumpy - 24/9/07 at 09:29 AM

Yeah its summat I've wondered for a while because in theory if it weren't a full roll then the gauge could be put anywhere on that edge and it wouldn't quite be the 19mm radius.Dunno why they don't just say a 10mm diameter for instance. Cheers

Chippy - 24/9/07 at 10:11 AM

Hi, made mine J shape, 19mm rad. and then fitted panels to cover the underside of dash that fitted onto it. Passed SVA with no comment made. HTH Ray

Bluemoon - 24/9/07 at 11:05 AM

From memory of the SVA manual, I think you could stop the radius parallel to the floor. I think there is a diagram showing this, they find the contactable radius from the seat forward.

From memory so check with the manual.

Having said this unless you have good reason not to for a peace of mind I would bend all the way around though say vertical.

Cheers

worX - 24/9/07 at 12:17 PM

Mine is a "J" Shape and the lower return edge would of been a fail point if I didn't put some U trim on it - and if you've seen a photo of my dash you know the lower return edge goes on for quite a ways!

Steve

scotty g - 24/9/07 at 04:00 PM

The radius has to go round so that it is horizontal, your dash will probably lean forward a tad so you will have to go more than 90'.
Most that i have seen go through about 120' to be safe.
Cheers

Dave Bailey - 24/9/07 at 08:26 PM

Does this mean that I can't use my Velocity carbon effect dash.....? This has no turned bottom adge...I was just going to use some strip on it!

Dave B