Board logo

Interior Panels - Plastic or Ali?
mackei23b - 2/10/07 at 11:51 AM

Hi there

What did you use (ali or plastic)?

What thickness?

Where did you get it from?

If plastic, any issues with expansion due to heat. (I've got some carbon effect, however it expands by about 3-4mm across 1 meter in the sunlight!)

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Ian

mookaloid - 2/10/07 at 12:18 PM

I used the plastic panels supplied by MK but only for the rear bulkhead and tunnel.

I liked the look of the exposed chassis inside the car - and it doesn't add any weight!

I did notice the rear bulkhead swelling in warm sunlight but there were enough rivets to hold it in place.

Cheers

Mark

VinceGledhill - 2/10/07 at 12:24 PM

I used 1mm ali on mine and I think it looks the dogs balls.

Just riveted it on.

I put a few blobs of that expanding foam in each space before fitting to hold it and it works well. Will add some photo's to my archive tonight if I get the chance.

Humbug - 2/10/07 at 12:58 PM

Neither - I used foam camping mat glued to the inside of the outer panels. No intrusion into the interior space and I think it looks a bit different (IMHO!) Rescued attachment interior.jpg
Rescued attachment interior.jpg

smart51 - 2/10/07 at 01:03 PM

Carbon fibre effect black plastic. You hardly notice the carbon effect but it is enough pattern to not see any scuffs. At 2mm thick, it is slightly lighter than 1mm ally and doesn't dent or tarnish.

worX - 2/10/07 at 01:14 PM

0.9mm ali for the rear bulkhead panels and no other "internal" panels.

Lots of people have used both and several have used the camping mat trick too as shown above so it is up to you...

Steve

ditchlewis - 2/10/07 at 01:17 PM

i used aluminium sheet for all internal panels. this has been glued and rivited to the chassis and polishes up well, and adds strength.

note it adds weight but mines not a race car and i weigh over 17st so whats another Kg or 2.

ditch

twybrow - 2/10/07 at 04:31 PM

The only interior panels i am fitting are those on the tunnel. They will all be carbon fibre, so no problem with weight or expansion issues!

caber - 2/10/07 at 05:30 PM

1.2mm ally with under laminate foam covered in trim vinyl on tunnel, 6mm exterior ply on inside of exterior again with foam and vinyl. nothing behind seats ribbed rubber on the floor, vinyl straight onto ally dash, all looking good will post piccies soon.

Caber

rj - 2/10/07 at 05:57 PM

I used plastic (originally from MK I think) and it does expand a bit in stong sunlight, it bows between the fixing screws.No issues with rattles or dints !

Pezza - 2/10/07 at 06:31 PM

I'm planning on 2mm abs sheet for the back panel and trans tunnel, nothing anywhere else, trying to keep weight to a minimum.

RK - 4/10/07 at 02:13 AM

I have badly fitting alu panels from the kit maker (unnamed!!!). I am, however, optimistically going to make panels out of foam core fibreglass. The foam core I'm getting from an art store, and then I'm laying the fibreglass on top. Everything will be flat, so it shouldn't be too difficult (he said). Oh, and I'm very experienced in fibreglass, NOT!