Board logo

Padding...
tegwin - 18/10/07 at 01:47 PM

Finaly, I have my rolls of coloured vinyl to cover the dashboard and cockpit areas...

but..

Im struggling to find a decent foam/padding material to sit between the car and the vinyl to give it some padding...

Appart from spending a small forune on the stuff from woolies...what have other people used that is more lo cost?

iank - 18/10/07 at 02:02 PM

Something like this?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-4-Firm-Upholstery-Seating-Foam-Sheets-80x90-inchs_W0QQitemZ170151566283QQihZ007QQcategoryZ28162QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Not tried it myself, but looks like it would work well to me.

RazMan - 18/10/07 at 02:08 PM

I used some 3mm foam that was designed as underlay for laminate flooring. Don't go any thicker or it will look rather bulky imo.

nick205 - 18/10/07 at 02:08 PM

If you have a fabric shop near you, they usually have various thickness foam in sheets or rolls. I got some 3mm thick fairly dense foam from a local shop for my dash and tunnel top.

Hammerhead - 18/10/07 at 02:17 PM

How dense do you want it? I have an upholstery business and have some offcuts if you just want a slight padded effect. 1/4" thick.

CaptainJosh - 18/10/07 at 02:18 PM

There is always sleeping mats from those outdoor stores- very cheap.

Hammerhead - 18/10/07 at 02:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainJosh
There is always sleeping mats from those outdoor stores- very cheap.

or ground sheets as said above, which I may try myself as they are denser than most upholstery foams, but if you just want to lightly pad then upholstery foams will be good.

jos - 18/10/07 at 04:59 PM

2nd vote for camping sleeping mats - just the job

trextr7monkey - 18/10/07 at 06:06 PM

Another vote for Karrimats/ closed cell foam -use it as a backin g to level out in between reinforcing ribs so you can carpert over a whole run rather than having ribs showing, also good for deadening noise and vibration, was a bit worried about a fire but if the floor is wood and the tub is glass fibre a bit of karrimat isn't going to make a shed load of difference