Board logo

Foamex panelling
COREdevelopments - 25/10/07 at 12:31 PM

HI has anyone used foamex as panelling? i would like to use it on the interior outer panels to cover the exposed frame and fibreglass sidepanels. seems to be cheap and light. they use it for signs, plus seen it been used in minis for door cards.

rob

RazMan - 25/10/07 at 01:18 PM

I have used acres of Foamex in various thicknesses (used to be a signmaker)

If you mean using it as a kind of double skin then you will probably need about 5mm to be rigid enough - but if you fill the void with insulation then 3mm might do it.

In cold weather it can get a bit brittle so watch your feet

[Edited on 25-10-07 by RazMan]

COREdevelopments - 25/10/07 at 01:51 PM

just bought some from local plastics supllier. cost 30quid for 8x4 sheet in matt black. its 3mm thick so should be fairly light. will a sharp stanley knife do a decent job of cutting it?

westcost1 - 25/10/07 at 02:04 PM

A good sharp knife will cut it fine but wouldn’t it make the chasse stronger and more ridged to rivet some ally sheet to the chasse? Especially if you don’t have ally side panels. A bit more weight but more durable and could be covered with fake leather?

COREdevelopments - 25/10/07 at 02:08 PM

i got ally on the transmission tunnel and rear bulkhead. only really want to use it cos its light and will cover up the expossed frame and fibreglass.