Board logo

Any FIA approved seats available to fit Locosts?
Gergely - 29/10/07 at 04:19 PM

Hi, as the title says. If the requirement to a race series is to have FIA approved seats in the car, suppose that the car meets all other requirements, what can be done? Normally these cars are used with fiberglass seats that - I assume - have no approvals whatsoever, but as far as I know, no FIA approved seats would fit...
So how are they being raced in other series?
I wonder as I try to see if there are any race series in Hungary where a Locost could fit. If yes, I will build the car accordingly for road and race...

How about rollcages? What sort of approvals are required in the UK generally for circuit racing? What is exactly an RAC approval? Is it similar to a FIA approval?

Thanks!
Gergely

iank - 29/10/07 at 04:35 PM

Caterham use Tillett carbon seats, so I assume they must be approved. I'm sure they'd let you know what the situation is if you ask them. Not cheap obviously.

http://www.tillett.co.uk/index2.html

bjw970s - 29/10/07 at 07:50 PM

mmm They are not listed as FIA approved - if they are it would say. Current UK MSA regs don't require it at the moment. I have not seen an FIA spec shell although the kirkey seats may have an international spec

UK RAC cages are not the same spec as FIA unless otherwise stated. they difference is listed in the blue book and the cage manufacturer will advise on their spec - FIA are always more expensive!!

procomp - 31/10/07 at 08:24 AM

I dont think that there are any FIA approved seats that would fit in to a Seven type chassis. Most of the FIA approved seats are for salloon cars.
The best ones for use in a seven type chassis are the 2 part foam in a bag ( used in single seaters and F1 some years ago ) made ones that mould to the car/chassis and also mould around your body. This gives you a perfect fit seat wich durring an accident will spread any force over a larger area rather that just where you happen to be touching the seat.

RE rollcages. The difference between what is msa approved and FIA is that the MSA ones are just rollbar/cages that meet the basic requiremnts. Where as the FIA one wil ussually have a lot more extra tubing and braces inc a full cross in the main hoop rather that just a diagonal. ON our cages which are msa/fia we submitted the MSA desighn but with all the FIA extras shown as optional wich means you gain approval on both but means you can only use the MSA in UK where as the FIA is usable allover the world under FIA regulations.

HTH cheers Matt

Gergely - 31/10/07 at 09:09 AM

Thanks guys! I have raised the question to the Racing Association in Hungary as well, but they don't seem to be to keen on answering my email. I might have to call them. I would be sad if a seven type car could not be raced at all.
After reading on the requirements I have also found that normally they only allow closed saloon type cars, so roadsters are not eligible for any series here... What???
I will see. Maybe as a side thing I will go Trabant racing and keep the seven for road and trackdays...

Thanks again!