Board logo

Dash material
Pdlewis - 13/11/07 at 08:20 PM

Hello,

What are we recomending for making dashboards these days?

My current dash is a good shape but i want to make a few modifications and would like a nicer finish as it is 2mm steel used to clad industrial units so has some sort of textured paint whihc came up ok when painting but not perfect.

Ideally i would like a flat finish instead of vynil is it easy/do able to add a radius on the bottom of aluminium as i quite fancey doing the tunnel top and dash in ali

any suggestions/comments?

Cheers in advance

Confused but excited. - 13/11/07 at 09:49 PM

Aluminium
MDF
Fibreglass
Carbon fibre
Plywood
I am personally going to use 1" thick Black Walnut, but that's just me.

snapper - 13/11/07 at 10:10 PM

quote:

With or without the shells??

Dale - 13/11/07 at 11:03 PM

I plan on a wood dash as well. It will more likely be mdf though (for diminesional stability) laminated with hopefully burled maple.
Dale

Confused but excited. - 14/11/07 at 12:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
quote:

With or without the shells??

02GF74 - 14/11/07 at 10:27 AM

i made mine from 2 mm aluminium sheet, with a curve fromed along the lower edges. since the lower edge on mine is not flat, it is not pissible to make without gaps in the folded over bit.

so you would need to cut the sheet so the entire lower edge is straight - if that mekes sense.

also I thik it is quite hard to get a nice finish with just a mallet - did not matter to me since I covered my dash.

a plain aluminium dash will reflect a fair bit of light; you could matt it or anodise it or do those circle pattern things.