Board logo

Carbon Fibre
LBMEFM - 24/11/07 at 11:10 PM

I am now the proud owner of a carbon fibre dash blank. Now can someone please tell me what tools I need to cut it to shape and make instrument holes in it etc.
Barry

nitram38 - 24/11/07 at 11:16 PM

Battery drill with hole saws?

andrew-theasby - 24/11/07 at 11:26 PM

Dont breathe the dust, wear a mask.

worX - 25/11/07 at 07:00 AM

I believe that the correct type of drill to use is an air drill, but I have to be honest and say that because I was only drilling a few holes, I also used a battery drill! I also used a dremel to smooth out the hole saw holes!
Just make sure you are in a ventilated area, and as said above, wear a mask.

Steve

quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Battery drill with hole saws?

BenB - 25/11/07 at 09:40 AM

I've found CF is suprisingly nice to work with. With its reputation for being strong you'ld think it would be more like metal to make holes etc in but in reality its more like glassfibre.

2b_pablo - 25/11/07 at 09:50 AM

i used a metal jigsaw blade and a regular drill and holesaw. no problems.

twybrow - 25/11/07 at 02:16 PM

It is a very easy material to work with. It sands, cuts and drills very easily. The best material to cut with is tungsen carbide. We use tungsten carbide band saws to just up to 6" thick structures at work. Try PermaGrit for tools They are fantastic and quite reasonably priced.

You can drill with regular dill bits (relatively slowly) and dont use oil based cutting fluids (contamination). As othershave said, wear a mask, or better still use extraction.

Peteff - 25/11/07 at 03:21 PM

Put it on some solid backing while you do it as well. I've not done anything to carbon fibre but if it's like glass fibre it wil split if you push on it while drilling or cutting.

Syd Bridge - 26/11/07 at 10:40 AM

Wear a mask for sure when drilling and sanding. The best you can get.

You can get special drills, similar to some of the woodworking items, which cut on the outside edge first.

Cheers,
Syd.

vinnievector - 26/11/07 at 04:32 PM

Hi mate have to work with composites such as carbon fibre in my job as the guy said before ,there are special drills to be had and its worth spending the extra to get hold of them .as the guy said above these look like your woodwork drills but are harder ,however you could use the woodwork ones but don't know how long they would last as carbon fibre tends to blunt things fast. always try test piece first