Board logo

Top seatbelt mount swivle?
tegwin - 9/3/08 at 06:26 PM

Does the top seatbelt mount have to swivle like the bottom ones?

Or can it be bolted rigidly?

Is it normal to use a locknut on the upper seatbelt mount, or just use a standard nut and a spring washer?

matt_claydon - 9/3/08 at 06:31 PM

All seatbelt mounts should swivel, otherwise the webbing will not be loaded evenly in the event of a crash.

paulmw - 9/3/08 at 07:04 PM

Stupid question. How do you make them swivel?

matt_claydon - 9/3/08 at 07:09 PM

You have a crush tube type thing on the bolt so when you screw it into the mounting it tightens against the tube, leaving the belt plate free to rotate. Essentially the same way your wishbones are allowed to rotate.

The other common method it to have eye-bolts in the chassis end then the belt ends clip onto the eyes.

[Edited on 9/3/08 by matt_claydon]

Guinness - 9/3/08 at 07:17 PM

My belts came with top hat style bushes with the bolts. Sort of half a wishbone bush, but in steel. So you can tighten up the bolt as much as you want, with the plate still free to rotate.

Mike

paulmw - 9/3/08 at 07:31 PM

OK. My harnesses came with eye bolts for the top but nothing for the bottoms. I bought some bolts for the bottom and screwed them in

Do they have to swivel for the SVA as mine dont?

tegwin - 9/3/08 at 07:51 PM

Thats odd...

The bottom mounts on the seatbelt had oversized holes to take the "crush tube", but the top mounts are just big enough to take the bolts, and nothing more....

I wonder why that is.....

matt_claydon - 9/3/08 at 08:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by paulmw
Do they have to swivel for the SVA as mine dont?

I don't think it's specifically mentioned in the manual.

snapper - 22/3/08 at 09:03 AM

They definately have to swivel

Like this

I have the top hat type washer with a spring washer

snapper - 22/3/08 at 09:25 AM

After reading the SVA manual i can find no mention of the belt having to swivel however if you read the manufacturers instalasion information they all use either the eye bolt and clip or the top hat.
So if you dont fit the belts as per manufacturers instructions it probably would be a fail.