Board logo

How many rivits do people use on internal panels?
saigonij - 11/4/08 at 09:28 PM

How many rivits have people used on the internal panels???

Do attaching them with many rivits help the strength of the chassis at all??? I have been trying to avoid using too many rivits cause im getting annoyed at breaking too many drills

Fozzie - 11/4/08 at 09:54 PM

None!

In fact there is a total of only 6 rivets on the entire car!

IMHO it doesn't enhance the chassis strength.....

Fozzie

MikeR - 11/4/08 at 10:10 PM

whats holding the side panels on?

bassett - 11/4/08 at 10:11 PM

Hi, I've got plastic interior panels and i plan to secure them with some sikaflex like tiger seal. I have used it on body kits in the past and is super stong so is more than enough for the interior panelling. Saves on the nuisance of drilling round tube aswell!
Adam

Fozzie - 11/4/08 at 10:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

.........Witchery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fozzie

vinnievector - 12/4/08 at 01:10 AM

its wot your intending to fix that determine the amount you use if your fixing body panels then around 3 to 4 inch pitching's is good .int panels can be less but would avoid using rivets as you might want to gain access later prop shaft root new wires for the dash ext to do some maintenance so screws and riv-nuts are the best option other wise you end up drilling off rivets after about 2nd 3rd time you will have sloppy holes so you will need to go up a size on your rivet ,then it starts all over again ,self tappers are OK also as for drilling , pilot your holes 2.5mm first keep your drill speed down , and buy a tube of drill lube you could try cobalt drills also.

Bluemoon - 12/4/08 at 06:56 AM

I would recomend M4 rivenuts and butten head screws as well (unfornatly I didn't have a tool for them at the time and mine are riveted).. You should in theory space rivets at 4 to 8 dimaters of the rivet, this will ensure the rivets don't fret.. But for trim pannels you will get away with less..

I would take the view that the bulkhead behind the seat and floors should use rivets with this spacing, as I would think these pannels are "structral" in that it should stiffen the chassis. I doubt that the transmission tunnel pannels make much diffrence (but I'm not an expert!), internal trim pannels very littel, I would even think of velcro!

PU adhesive could be used instead of rivets, but if you have paint, the strength will be limited by your paint adhesion..

Dan

[Edited on 12/4/08 by Bluemoon]

matt.c - 12/4/08 at 07:33 AM

Mine

Description
Description

Agriv8 - 12/4/08 at 08:03 AM

3 either side IIRC

And 2 at the front holding the tub on

regards

Agriv8

iank - 12/4/08 at 08:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vinnievector
its wot your intending to fix that determine the amount you use if your fixing body panels then around 3 to 4 inch pitching's is good .int panels can be less but would avoid using rivets as you might want to gain access later prop shaft root new wires for the dash ext to do some maintenance so screws and riv-nuts are the best option other wise you end up drilling off rivets after about 2nd 3rd time you will have sloppy holes so you will need to go up a size on your rivet ,then it starts all over again ,self tappers are OK also as for drilling , pilot your holes 2.5mm first keep your drill speed down , and buy a tube of drill lube you could try cobalt drills also.

Self tappers are the devils work, and suffer exactly the same problem of needing to go up a size if they are removed and refitted more than a couple of times.
Rivnuts and button heads are the way to go if panels are to be removable IMO rivets and/or PU (or witchery, but newts eyes are hard to get these days) of they're not.
Drilling with lube is the way to go as you say.

MikeR - 12/4/08 at 08:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

.........Witchery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fozzie

She's a witch, burn her!

Burn her i say ..............

IDONTBELEIVEIT - 12/4/08 at 02:12 PM

too many rivets on say 30mm pitch would weaken the ERW, all in a straight line is nearly like running a slitting disc down the side of it
my 2P
wayno!!

Bluemoon - 15/4/08 at 02:22 PM

I don't believe the above, IMO, as the rivet holes are very small compared with what is left..

If this was a problem planes would fall out of the sky, there rivet centers will be about 8 times the rivet diameter.. I haven't seen may 747 split apart..

see:

wingrivets
wingrivets

Dan

[Edited on 15/4/08 by Bluemoon]

[Edited on 15/4/08 by Bluemoon]

vinnievector - 16/4/08 at 11:05 PM

Hi mate seems your a sheety like me ,on pitching's 8d stuff is for air craft and all depends on gage area struck integrity and rivet type heat issues aerodynamic flow ext but for a car i think 3 to 4 in pitching will suffice and is more than ad ,in terms of budget and most of the guys on hear as far as i can see don't use there body side as part of the car structural strength .